Non-sequential numbering in Codex Bezae

Grace Sharon

I am comparing the texts of GNT-T with GNT-BEZ and have just got up to Mark 10:23-26. In GNT-T the verse numbers are sequential 10:23, 10:24, 10:25, 10:26. However, in GNT BEZ, the numbers are not sequential, they appear as 10:23, 10:25, 10:24, 10:26.

Does anyone know if there is an Accordance reason for this or whether Codex Bezae has the verses 25 and 24 back to front to that of GNT-T but the numbering was kept the same for ease of identification?

I would be glad to receive your thoughts and comments.

I believe that the numbering reflects the contents and the lines reflect the order in the Bezae, but we have an error because the verses in a parallel pane are not lining up as they should, no matter which text is the search text.

I might suggest you follow this link

http://books.google.com/books/pdf/Bezae_co...yX6rDcgvVOQQcus

to Bezae codex Cantabrigiensis By Frederick Henry Ambrose Scrivener.

It should link directly to the PDF, let me know if it doesn't.

I haven't read it but you might find your answer there.

HTH

Thank you Helen and Alistair. The .pdf of Frederick Scrivener's allowed me to see that the non-sequential numbering is as it is in Bezae. Thank you for your guidance and assistance. Kind regards, Grace. :)

Bless you, Grace, I'm glad Scrivener can help you. I was racking my brains and was sure I had seen something somewhere about Codex Bezae, but it only led me to PDFs of Beza's printed Greek NT. These were freely available on the Internet several years ago but are no longer available. As I consider them public domain I would be happy to forward them to you if it helps in your research. They are the 1565 edition (144MB), the 1588 edition (124 MB) and the 1598 edition (194 MB).

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

Archived