Deponent search

Rod Decker

Is it possible (and if so, how) to generate a list of all the verb forms that have traditionally been classed as deponents in a given corpus? i.e., all verbs that have a lexical form ending in -μαι (or -μην).

I tried: +*μαι <AND> [VERB]

But this also lists *nouns* that are built from verb roots (and it also highlights invalid forms (though I haven't figured out why), e.g., running the search in Mark highlights ἐγένετο, βαπτίζων, and κηρύσσων. Correct = ἐγένετο, but the other two are puzzling. My guess is that these are all the verbs that occur in a verse that also have a word whose root ends in μαι.

I then tried: +*μαι @ [VERB]

That's an improvement, but it still hits words such as ἀποδοκιμάζω and ἀπορέω, presumably since they are compounds formed from δέχομαι and πορεύομαι. So this still isn't what I want.

And I'm out of ideas.

Dr. Decker,

Try taking out the "+". Here's what I tried - (*mai, *mhn)@ [VERB] - which yielded 4100 results (428 for Mark) and none of the incorrect forms you listed were being included. You could also do a construct search. Drag the LEX box down and type in (*mai, *mhn), then a VERB box and leave empty. Results are the same.

Does this help?

Duh! Yep. Makes sense too. I was making it too hard. Thanks.

Archived