Kubo feature in Instant Details

gregoreite

I wanted to make a small suggestion for the Instant Details window. The recently added etymological breakdown is especially helpful. It would also be helpful to have the Kubo numbers (i.e. ejklekto/

This has been requested before, and what I do know is that for the instant details box when you hover over a word it displays the info that that word has been "tagged" with in the underlying text. stats such as your requesting require a search in Accordance, and having Accordance run a new search for every word the pointer crosses over would be... well... fun to watch the smoke.

So, what you're really requesting is for text module whose words are tagged to include some of those numbers. Just being clear.

I don't see much advantage of such info being available instantly. If you know a word, it's common (to you at least), and if you don't, it's uncommon.

For those students who are seeking to grow in their Greek reading skills, there is a general prioritization of words to memorize from most to least frequent. Kubo helps by listing not just the words listed under 50 times in the New Testament, but how many times a given word is listed in a specific book and in the New Testament. The student is then able to instantly know if an unrecognized word is a hapax or a word that needs more diligence in memorization. After a certain level of vocabulary review with flash cards or some other such method, it is typically preferable to grow in vocabulary knowledge through reading the Greek text directly.

My comment about being able to set the ID Box to show words with a certain frequency has to do with the above drill as well. Most first year students are required to memorize vocabulary used 50+ times in the NT. One progresses down in increments. There are flash card programs that offer this (see, for example, http://www.teknia.com/index.php?page=tlt). It would be nice for the ID Box to list words according to frequency parameters (e.g., "show only words that occur 40 times or less in the NT") to accomplish this same purpose within the context of a textual reading.

This is a didactic aid for both student and teacher alike.

Thanks,

Greg

I am sorry, but this feature would require either that the databases include these numbers for every word or every lemma, which they do not, or that Accordance calculate it on the fly, which would slow down the display of the instant details.

It is not likely to be implemented any time soon, if ever.

...The student is then able to instantly know if an unrecognized word is a hapax or a word that needs more diligence in memorization...

This aspect would be handy. I might suggest another protocol. If a student is going to read a new section, say John 1, then they use Accordance and find all words occurring at least x number of times in the NT.

[RANGE John 1] <AND> [COUNT 50-999]

Make the range smaller if you're certain you have words over 100 or what have you.

Then an analysis window generates a quick list of those vocabulary words. Sorting it "Counting down" may be ideal for quizzing yourself before reading.

[COUNT 50-999] (324 total words)

Number of different forms = 116:

ek (+gen) of, out of, from = 12

ercomai to come, go = 12

Ihsou

Archived