Chinese Pinyin Bible

petermoore

I have just downloaded the Chinese Union Version Bible and it's great to have the same program on my computer and my iPhone. I have been working in China for the last 18 years so this is a very useful tool for me. However as a westerner who has learned Chinese as a second language I sometimes struggle with some of the characters and so having a Bible that has both Chinese characters with the romanised "Hanyu Pinyin" underneath would be a great help. Actually the Bible+ program for Palm had this and it was great - but not available for the iPhone. I think the text is available free of copyright, or it's possible to generate the Pinyin text from the Characters. I realise that there are probably not a lot of people who would want this, but I for one would love this tool.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I think there are quite a few people (well, many of my friends) who would love to have Pinyin. Would it be possible to add this to the available Chinese Bibles?

• Like 1

As we always ask in these situations

1. What is the copyright status and who holds it (if it is held)

2. Is there an etext available? and from where?

I know what our developers would ask, and I if we want to make a user Bible, I know what I would need to do that.

Ideal would be a tagged Chinese text (first the Chinese Union Version or Heheben), which would show the Chinese word, pinyin, Greek/Hebrew WITH a range of definition IN Chinese for the Hebrew/Greek word. I myself am almost finished with a public domain Chinese/Greek dictionary of the NT (based on the public domain Alexander Souter English/Greek dictionary), but I have no current plans for making a similar Chinese/Hebrew dictionary.

• Like 1

If I may interrupt the flow of the topic somewhat; Jonathan's contribution is just another example of the many, many 'ordinary' ways, and here extraordinary ways, which Accordance members (and of course others too) go to to help so many others. I cannot even begin to imagine how much time and work must have gone into this project. I often think of the words of Psalm 8 in such situations and, if I may add, I would like to recite this Psalm in thanksgiving and as a little prayer for all those who are working in whatever way to bring the Scriptures from one end of the world to the next!

Kevin.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure what the copyright status is, but I think most of us would be willing to pay, if necessary, for the pinyin. Also, I would love to see a Chinese/English dictionary add-on made available for purchase!

• Like 1

I'd like to know how to go about developing a tagged CUV text for Accordance. I think this would be a great asset for tapping into the huge Singapore/Hong Kong/Taiwanese market, and in time, the burgeoning mainland market once they actually get used to paying for things.

• Like 2

I'm from Hong Kong and used chinese bible as my primary reading and sermon preparation... would be really appreciated that if there's a tagged CUV text available for sales. Also, I'm still waiting for the chinese (or unicode) notes input features... I know that's not too high on the priority list but it kept many of my peers running away from Accordance since that's not an issue for BW or even freeware like YouVersion.

And it would be a good news for many Chinese Accordance users if CCV translation (i.e Contemporary Chinese Version) to be available from Accordance (BibleWork already have such a translated text by default in BW9). Since that's a new translated text, I think the copyright issue would not be too difficult to resolve.

For copyright of chinese biblical resources, I guess the Chinese Bible International Ltd. (http://www.chinesebible.org.hk) would have a role to play.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Amazon has a few editions.

I saw one lists Robert Morrison (5 January 1782 – 1 August 1834) as the author. Would this suggest that the content (not the published work) is in public domain long ago?

If so, I can find an etext for you guys to make a user bible.

Blessings,
Martin

• Like 1