formatting & searching on HTML in My Tools

stjacks

Dear friends,

I am new to Accordance just this past week but I am completely overwhelmed by how powerful and wonderful Accordance is! I am trying to figure out how I made it all these years without it!!!

Anyway, I am very impressed by the import function under my tools. I am a graduate student and have a million random pdf articles and notes I would love to be able to search at one time with a click of a button. It seems that Accordance provides this option to me. However, I do have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a way to save my PDF's so that I don't lose key formatting features such as footnotes? Right now when I save the PDF as a html the footnotes just merge with the body of the text without any differentiation. This is a problem for me. If there is no other way to save, has anyone developed a work around for this or is Accordance thinking of correcting this shortcoming? I really need to be able to maintain some features of my pdf's for this feature of Accordance to truly prove useful for me.

2. When I search MY Tools for a word and the results come up in the workspace window, I am unable to click on the results and go directly to the html text. This feature does work when I search for the same word in my other tools such as in my bibles or the dictionaries. It just does not work when I search under My Tools. Is this a glitch in the system?

I really do look forward to more and more accordance modules. I am watching the podcasts daily and I am enjoying this forum very much. Thank you in advance for everyone out there who helps me answer these questions!

Welcome to Accordance!

I'll give answering your two questions a shot:

1. There currently is no way to maintain footnote formatting when importing a HTML file into Accordance as a User Tool. Accordance does, generally, maintain heading information, using it to create the headings in the new User Tool.

2. I'm unclear regarding what your second question is asking. Accordance does not maintain links (unless you specifically create one later) to outside files when importing a HTML file as a User Tool. Are you referring to a search within a single User Tool which you have created? Please provide a bit more information regarding what you are hoping to be able to do. Thanks!

Welcome to Accordance!

I'll give answering your two questions a shot:

1. There currently is no way to maintain footnote formatting when importing a HTML file into Accordance as a User Tool. Accordance does, generally, maintain heading information, using it to create the headings in the new User Tool.

2. I'm unclear regarding what your second question is asking. Accordance does not maintain links (unless you specifically create one later) to outside files when importing a HTML file as a User Tool. Are you referring to a search within a single User Tool which you have created? Please provide a bit more information regarding what you are hoping to be able to do. Thanks!

Thank you so much. Well, the "no footnote formatting" is a bummer for me but anyway...

As far as the second, I am referring to when I run a general search on my user tools. For instance, i open up a blank workspace. Then I hit the search icon in my resource palette for the MY Tools (I have created my own group using the the "Define Group" feature in which all my articles I have converted to html are located so far). Accordance runs the search and displays the search results in the workspace. Now, when i mouse over the results and my pointer turns to a small magnifying class, I try to click on the result to open the document and go to a particular result and i keep getting an error message, "The text is not currently available on Accordance," and it never does go directly to the text. The only way I can go to these html texts, it seems, it open them manually and perform ANOTHER search within each one in order to find the instances my general search pulled up. I am wondering if this is a glitch because it seems rather cumbersome to run a general search in order to find which articles have the content I am looking for and then have to go and run individual searches within each document to find those instances. Why can't I just click on each result and go directly to it in MY TOOLs?

If all of this is confusing, I have included a copy of one particular search I have been trying to run this way and the error I've been getting once the general results have posted.

Please help me. I would love for this feature to work!!!

post-30155-126833102488_thumb.png

I just tested the Search All with User Tools and it worked for me and opened the tool and ran the search. I will send you a message so that you can contact me directly and screenshare to diagnose the problem at your end.

It turns out that Accordance didn't like the comma in the name of that user tool. A space or a dash worked fine, and all the results were available.

Archived