5 replies to this topic

#1 Marco V. Fabbri

Marco V. Fabbri

Silver

• Accordance
  • 146 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:24 AM

Usually we think of syntax searches as something involving the Greek or Hebrew Construct Window. That is true for complex searches, or searches involving a clause o phrase.

However, many interesting things can be found also in the main Search Window.

If I type:

[ANY genitive]@[Subject]

I will find any Genitive that is Subject. In Greek, this happens when the Predicate is a Genitive Participle.

In other words, the result of the search will be a genitive absolute.

Instead of entering [ANY genitive], I could have entered a part of speech, as [NOUN genitive] or [PRONOUN genitive]. This is good if I want to restrict my search to Prononuns or Nouns. But if I want to make it general, [ANY genitive] will fit better my purpose.
Marco Valerio Fabbri
P. Università della S. Croce
Rome, Italy

#2 Marco V. Fabbri

Marco V. Fabbri

Silver

• Accordance
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:51 AM

I have suggested a way of searching for a Genitive Absolute. Sometimes we find two of them, connected with a coordinating conjunction (usually καί).

The second Genitive Absolute may be hard to find, as its Subject can be omitted: it is understood that it is the same as the Subject of the first Genitive Absolute.

As a consequence, we cannot search for a [Subject] that is also [ANY genitive]: Accordance can’t find what is not there.

Rather, we need to search for two Genitive Participles, that are part of two Adjunct Dependent Clauses.

In turn, the two clauses will be part of the same Predicate Phrase, as they are both adverbial adjuncts to the same Predicate

We can do this as follows:

• Open a new Search Text, choose GNT-T as search text, and choose to search for Words (not Verses) within every Chapter or Book (not Verse, etc)
  • Open a new Greek Constuct (Command-2), that will be automatically linked to the Search Text
  • In the Greek Construct window, drag the Phrase element and drop it into the first column
  • When prompted, choose Predicate Phrase
  • Drag the Clause element and drop it into the first column, within the PREDICATE PHRASE
  • When prompted, choose Dependent and Adjunct
  • Drag the Verb element and drop it into the first column of the Adjun. DEPENDENT Clause
  • When prompted, choose Mood: participle and Case: Genitive
  • Press the option key, click on Adjun. DEPENDENT and drag the whole clause to the first free column of the PREDICATE PHRASE. This will duplicate the Adjun. DEPENDENT Clause with its content.
  • Press Return, or click on the search button.

The results are as follows:

Attached File  Screen shot 2011-10-31 at 09.26.34.PNG   273.87KB   16 downloads

Let us examine the results in Search Text Window.

The first hit is Matthew 13:19. The first Genitive absolute is παντὸς ἀκούοντος etc., where παντὸς is the Subject and ἀκούοντος is the Verb in the Predicate. The second Genitive absolute is μὴ συνιέντος. The Verb in the Predicate is συνιέντος. There is no overt Subject, as it is understood that the Subject is still παντός that appeared in the preceding Clause.

The second hit is Mark 6:22. The first Genitive absolute is εἰσελθούσης τῆς θυγατρὸς αὐτοῦ Ἡρῳδιάδος etc., where εἰσελθούσης is the Verb in the Predicate and τῆς θυγατρὸς αὐτοῦ Ἡρῳδιάδος is the Subject. The second Genitive absolute is ὀρχησαμένης. The Verb in the Predicate is ὀρχησαμένης. There is no overt Subject, as it is understood that the Subject is the same that appeared in the preceding Clause.

And so on.

Edited by Marco Fabbri, 31 October 2011 - 07:03 AM.

• Dieudonne likes this
Marco Valerio Fabbri
Rome, Italy

#3 Marco V. Fabbri

Marco V. Fabbri

Silver

• Accordance
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

If there are questions on Absolute Genitives, they may be posted as replies to the topic.
Marco Valerio Fabbri
Rome, Italy

#4 mkzumaeta

mkzumaeta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

When I entered the [ANY Genitive] @ [Subject] accordance can't find anything.

#5 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

I get 305 hits doing this against the GNT28-T text. What text are you using and do you have the Greek syntax module ?

Thx

D

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop

Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge

12GB RAM                                8GB RAM

Accordance 10.4.3.2                     Accordance 10.4.3.2 and Aleph 10.4.3.2

OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#6 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,359 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

Hi  mkzumaeta,

this might be a silly question, but you have purchased and installed the GNT28 Syntax module haven't you? (or GNT Syntax if that's the text you use).

Edited by Ken Simpson, 04 September 2014 - 04:10 PM.

Regards
Ken
Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users