Best Practice for User Notes

rkbishop

Any of you preachers and teachers want to share tips on how you use User Notes?

Because I usually preach from the lectionary (i.e., passage-based), the User Notes make a lot of sense for me to use. So I use them each week. I have one single User Notes file I use for everything (so, essentially, I'm creating my own study Bible notes). I record all of my notes in Accordance User Notes, whether it's from working with texts and commentaries in Accordance, or from print commentaries, or from other software programs, etc.

Then I copy-paste my User Notes for a passage into a Google Doc and save it as "Sermon Notes" or something like that, for that week. (This gives me an additional backup.)

Then I copy that file into a "Sermon Draft 1" Google Doc file, so that I can turn the Notes into a draft, then into a final manuscript.

After the manuscript is final, I copy-paste it all into an Accordance User Tool, so that I am keeping sermon manuscripts both on Google and in Accordance.

That sounds like a great workflow, Abram! I may just swipe it! ;-)

• Like 1

Feel free! One added bonus to that workflow (which I failed to mention the first time) is that I can easily move between computers (office iMac and home Macbook) and everything syncs automatically (Google Drive, User Notes and User Tools in Accordance).

For myself, I typically use my User Notes for initial thoughts and questions. I will then copy them into a page in my Scrivener file for the sermon or study in question.

I have one single User Notes file I use for everything (so, essentially, I'm creating my own study Bible notes).

Abram, that's brilliant! I have about 15 different User Note files for different books of Scripture. After reading your post, I'm wondering why I have so many...

Merging notes now...Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Thanks, Matthew--I suppose there is the potential downside of my single file becoming too big, but I think that's a long ways off, and it's all just text anyway, so I think it will be okay....