Syncing 2 Macs

twbeining

Last year I bought my iMac and put Accordance on it. I have Note and Tool mods on it . Also Desktops and Workgroups. A couple days ago I bought a MacBook Pro. I have downloaded Accordance to it and would like to be able to have the above mentioned Note, Tool mods, Desktops and Workgroups on this second Mac.

So I guess the question would be what is the easiest way to do this? Is there a way to sync the Macs or do I need to copy from one Mac to the other? Could you please explain the process you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Peace and Blessings,

Tim

Edited by twbeining

Joel or Rick or Helen or Ken would be able to answer well, but as it's Sunday night, if you're looking for something now, from one user to another:

When I installed Accordance I put my Accordance files in what I think is the default location: Documents/Accordance Files. In that are highlight files, user note files, user tool files, workspaces I've saved, autosaved sessions, and so on.

So you could simply copy those files from one computer to the other, share across Dropbox, etc.

What I'm not sure about is whether you need anything from the "Contents" folder that shows up when you right click (ctrl-click) the Accordance icon in Applications for "Show Package Contents," or if there are other components from elsewhere that need to be copied.

But by using Dropbox I have been able to successfully share workspaces across computers using the method above, if that helps.

Ah, yes, a pro will need to weigh in. I see there is also User/Library/Preferences (in 10.6.8), then "Accordance Preferences." This is at least where Search Ranges live. I don't know Accordance "under the hood" terribly well, so I'll defer to the experts now. But you may be able to access at least some things doing what I noted above.

I sync user modules, highlights, etc. between two Macs using Dropbox. It's a little more complicated than just moving folders. I can post a link to instructions if you like BUT you shouldn't use it if you are using Accordance's Dropbox sync feature between iOS devices. Eventually, Accordance's "native" Dropbox sync will be extended to Macs, at least that's my understanding. So you may be better off copying stuff over for now and waiting for syncing.

Note, however, that if you want to share workspaces, you can save those to a Dropbox folder and they should sync fine. That won't work as easily for "favorite" workspaces, and if you have Accordance set to reopen the last used workspace, those workspaces won't sync without a more complicated Dropbox set up.

• Like 1

Tim - I am NOT an expert, but Abraham and Lorinda are right. DropBox will work, but so will AirDrop (in ML only). AirDrop is accessible through a Finder window. You can move really large files that way, too, and it's pretty quick.

At this point, we can't keep a couple of Macs synced without occasionally physically moving the stuff between computers. To make sure I don't lose anything in the process, I have a "main Accordance machine" and a "back-up Accordance machine." If I consistently move things just one direction, I won't lose a User note, Tool modification, etc. You may find that you want some of your Preferences to be different on a desktop vs. a laptop, but Preferences can be moved, too.

Another thing I have done is to connect my computers through our home ethernet. In a Finder window on one machine, I log on as user to the other. Doing this enables me to get everything on one monitor so I can drag and drop files from one computer to another. Again, you have to be careful you don't replace a newer file with an older one. Since one machine is consistently to the right of the other, I keep its Finder window to the right to make sure I transfer in the correct direction.

This works well between now and when we get some kind of auto-sync.

Edited by Julie Falling

Thanks everyone!

Auto-sync between Macs would indeed be a very nice feature added to Accordance. Hopefully they will do this soon. Please do this soon! :D

Do any of you know exactly which folders I should copy and move to the new Mac? I want to be sure to get Notes, Tools, Workspaces (I called them desktops above), and My Groups. Also Preferences if possible.

Tim

If you're asking how to move your Accordance stuff from one machine to another, assuming default locations, here's what I suggest.

1. Install the app

First download the Accordance app ( http://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Installers/ ), and install using your Accordance site login

Then run the app and then quit.

(If you need to physically copy the app, it's at /Applications/Accordance.app, but I suggest the installer)

2. Move your custom modules

Then, copy your files over from the old to the new ~/Documents/Accordance Files/

This is where your Notes and User junk probably is.

3. Copy your library of installed texts and modules

Then copy over to the new Mac the files inside:

/Library/Application Support/Accordance/

( Edit: or it could be just for your user at

~/Library/Application Support/Accordance/ )

4. Preferences

Then you might want to copy the preferences, but I wouldn't. Just set them again within the app.

~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences/

5. Install fonts

Then you need to check on fonts; see if they're there—have a have a look at the fonts manually in /Library/Fonts (or just for your user at ~/Library/Fonts). And then either download the Font Fixer utility

http://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Installers/#FontFix

or move manually. I suggest the utility.

6. Enjoy

Run Accordance again and log in with your Accordance account. And set things up as you like.

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 2

Hi all,

I feel privileged to be put in the company of Helen, Joel and Rick, and well out of place.

Joe's description is right and almost complete. :rolleyes:

In addition to the install (step 1)

The folders you need to copy are:

/Users/<insert your Mac OS X short username here>/Library/Application Support/Accordance (this folder is usually easiest accessed by pressing the OPTION key as you select the "Go" menu in the Finder, then selecting the "Library" option.

OR

/Library/Application Support/Accordance (whether one or the other is the correct place depends on whether you have installed Accordance for all users on the computer - the latter - or just for your account - the former)

Then ~/Documents/Accordance Files

And ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance (or /Library/Preferences/Accordance - as above)

Then when you next launch Accordance all should be well.

Abram, there should be nothing in the Contents file inside the application that is not already installed in step 1. No post-install modules are installed in there that I am aware of anyway.

Finally, fonts are sometimes an issue, so by far the easiest thing is, rather than find the dozen or so Accordance needs to run properly across all its languages is to do exactly what Joe said and grab the FontFixer program and run that.

oops - almost forgot PLUS

Always make sure that the folders mentioned above are readable and writable by your user (do a "Get Info" on the folders and check that you have read and write permissions - at the bottom of the window)

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 2

I added the single-user-modules note to my info, as well. I went ahead and left ~ and how to access ~/Library/ up to the mysteries of the internets. :)

What's the internets?

In Australia we only have the beer-steam driven interwebs.

:blink:

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. Everything is on my new MacBook Pro and working like a charm.

Is there a way to sync this stuff by using dropbox or something like it so that it will update on either machine depending on which one I am using? If so, can you give me some insight on how to set it up?

I guess a better way to say that might be is there a way I can make one location for both machines to share files?

Peace and Blessings,

Tim

Ah, I have tried what you've described, twbeining, and couldn't get it to work with sharing User Notes across two computers via Dropbox (where either computer could update them in both places). Joel Brown (who I hope will add his thoughts here) and others have said future Accordance releases will have enhanced Dropbox support/tie-in.

You can move your ~/Documents/Accordance Files to your Dropbox account.

To ensure the best result:

1. Quit Accordance

2. Zip up the contents of ~/Documents/Accordance Files (so as to have a backup

3. Move Accordance Files to Dropbox (actually move the directory, don't copy it)

4. Open Accordance.

5. Accordance will ask where Accordance Files is located

6. Navigate to Dropbox and select the Dropbox Directory

Do the same on the other machine.

Edited by James Tucker

Thanks James!

That works really well.

The only drawback I see is if I am mobile and do not have access to the Internet I will not be able to access my files on Dropbox.

I wonder if there is some way to get around that?

Tim

For what it's worth, Accordance 10.2 (Mac) will be a native dropbox client supporting syncing of User Content across devices. It might be best to wait until then so that we can properly support it if something goes wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks Rick!

Any kind of wild time frame on that? :rolleyes:

Also will that solve the problem I mentioned above about not being online?

Thank Much,

Peace and Blessings,

Tim

Thanks Rick!

Any kind of wild time frame on that? :rolleyes:

Also will that solve the problem I mentioned above about not being online?

Thank Much,

Peace and Blessings,

Tim

I don't know the timeframe of the release but it is under active development.

When you are offline you still have access to all the files in your dropbox folder, but if any changes are made on another device those cannot be synced until you are back online.

Thanks again Rick.

That answers my question. And on a quite positive note I might add!

Just thought I'd go fishing for a timeframe, no fish in the creek today! :) But that's OK though, we know a solution is soon to be in hand.

Thanks to all you at Accordance for all you do.

Peace and Blessings,

Tim

Edited by twbeining
  • Like 1