Accordance 10 at the Mac App Store

Kerry Magruder

Is there any idea when Accordance 10 might become available at the Mac App Store? I know you can't predict something that's out of your hands, but I'm just wondering if you know of anything that might be holding it up.

PEACE

Kerry

Nothing to report at this time. There is nothing specific holding it up to my knowledge, just taking Apple awhile to review it. Hopefully soon!

I guess they've been busy, but I'm growing impatient with my plan to buy it there. I had thought I would do that in order (1) to update our several computers easily, and (2) to leave feedback on the store. Darin, many thanks.

Posting Accordance to the Mac App Store should enable many people to discover Accordance for the first time. Yet, it's also an option for current users. So I'm wondering: Is there a page on the Accordance website that summarizes the advantages and disadvantages of purchasing Accordance on the Mac App Store vs. the Accordance website?

Advantages of buying it at the Mac App Store include the two I mentioned above (esp. the ease of keeping several computers current). The purchase price may be credited toward the purchase of a collection through the website, so price is not a net disadvantage. I'm hard pressed to think of a disadvantage, other than that new buyers would have to register separately with Accordance, but that's a trivial inconvenience.

Are there other advantages, disadvantages, or additional considerations I'm not thinking of that might affect one's decision to buy it from the Mac App Store vs. the website? I'd be interested in the thinking of Accordance folks on this issue, and in particular, whether you have a preference or would advise current users to purchase it in one way rather than another.

------

Answer: After writing the above, I found this page:

http://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-for-Mac

Thanks for providing that clear comparison of the options. I see that purchasing at the Mac App Store will invalidate in-app upgrades. I don't want to limit that functionality, so I think I'll change my mind and order from the Accordance website after all.

PEACE

Kerry

Good questions. Here are some of my thoughts.

Mac App Store Advantages

From my perspective, the main advantage of the Mac App Store has historically been the fantastic Updates system. However, now that the "website version" of Accordance also has a convenient in-app updating system, this advantage is less relevant. But the Mac App Store still keeps all your app updates under one roof, which is nice.

Another advantage is that we are looking into the possibility of using iCloud for some upcoming features, and to my knowledge only Mac App Store apps can take advantage of iCloud. That means that only those who purchase on the Mac App Store would be able to sync using iCloud. Nothing has been decided yet on that front though, and we are also looking into supporting alternate syncing services for those who purchase directly from us.

Mac App Store Disadvantages

The main disadvantage of the Mac App Store is what we are experiencing now—Apple is often slow to approve apps. That doesn't just apply to the initial app approval, but also to upgrades. So while those who purchase through our website will get Accordance updates as soon as they are ready, on the Mac App Store we are somewhat at the mercy of Apple's approval process which can sometimes be very slow. We are not planning on delaying updates until Apple approves though, so those who purchase directly from us will always get these updates faster, whether they be simple bug fixes or major new features.

Another advantage of purchasing directly from us is that full-time students, professors, and ministers receive discounts that we cannot offer on the Mac App Store. There may be other differences as well, but those are some of the main ones that come to mind.

Seeing how long Apple is taking to approve the app is making me impatient as well! And I think this will continue to be a significant downside (though do smaller updates go through faster?).

For me the big advantage is buying Accordance in local currency (Australian Dollars) which will make tax time a bit easier. Another advantage is that I can buy iTunes gift cards at a discount (normally 25% off) which may make the total purchase price lower ... if I can wait for the review process to finish.

Another difference is that each "user" of the App Store app on the Mac has a separate installation of all the Accordance files. For those who like to run several users, or share the Mac with family members, this means more HD space and the need to update the modules separately for each user, instead of choosing to have the Accordance folder in the local domain (root of hard drive) Library.

Darin, Helen,

I'm glad you're putting the effort into distributing Accordance either way, and giving us a choice. Many thanks for the explanations,

PEACE

Kerry

Accordance 10 just went live on the Mac App Store. Check it out!

• Like 1

Sweet!

I had just finished upgrading my phone to iOS 6 when I saw this notification - nice start to the day. And the price in the App Store is great in Australia!

Accordance 10 hasn't pulled across my Accordance 9 modules, but I'll start a new thread about that.

Daniel

Hey Daniel

where are you in Aus? (Trying to get a handle on where our 'engaged' users are here at home)

Hi Ken,

I'm up on Brisbane. I've sent more details privately.

Daniel