Feature Request

alyosha

Sorry, I don't know where else to put this...

In a future version of accordance I would love to see:

In the instant details box the count of the selected word - that is, how many times this word is used in the bible/and or current book. This would help significantly - to know immediately the importance of the word, and whether it is worth committing to memory for those still learning the languages.

I suspect this would be nigh impossible to program, but it would be great to be able to select a greek or hebrew word, and have the word(s) used to translate it also highlighted in the english text window.

Thanks.

Any other ideas....?

The ideas for Instant Details have often been requested, but are not practical to program. You can select any word, click the Search button, and use Details to get all the information you want, but I agree it's not automatic.

We are working on the other idea, that's all I can say for now.

In the instant details box the count of the selected word - that is, how many times this word is used in the bible/and or current book. This would help significantly - to know immediately the importance of the word, and whether it is worth committing to memory for those still learning the languages.

Alyosha,

The previous conversation in the forum on this question came to a conclusion with a simple reality... the "# of occurrences" of a word is contextually dependent. It's not a fixed number. So the program would have to do a quick search everytime the point crossed over another word. Hard coding a number of occurrences from a particular copy of NT would be meaningless for those of use working on LXX or Apostolic Fathers.

Secondly, we're all still learning the language. Reading is most important. You need to get flashcards and nail down words 40+ and then 30+ at least. But then you can read and take words in context. Nailing down every word perhaps isn't what contributes most to learning the language.

... You need to get flashcards and nail down words 40+ and then 30+ at least. But then you can read and take words in context. Nailing down every word perhaps isn't what contributes most to learning the language.

Alyosha,

In case you're not aware of it, there is a free flash card program (Mac & Windows) on Mounce's BBG support site: www.teknia.com It supports vocabulary and parsing. I also believe that you can set it for frequency of occurrence (all words used x times).

Hope this is helpful,

Rich

RPat

We are working on the other idea, that's all I can say for now.

I love when she says that :)

In case you're not aware of it, there is a free flash card program (Mac & Windows) on Mounce's BBG support site: www.teknia.com It supports vocabulary and parsing. I also believe that you can set it for frequency of occurrence (all words used x times).

There are a few flashcard recommendations that float around these forums (even one of my own making designed specifically to work with Accordance). I'd search for "flashcard" to find them.

Where can I download the flashcord program?

Thanks.

Kit

Where can I download the flashcord program?

Thanks.

Kit

Kit,

I guess I don't publicize FlashCord much... a search in the forum didn't even turn up a link. You can find the package here:

http://student.tcu.edu/jweaks/accordance/flashcord.zip

It's a basic flashcard program... no bells/whistles, just designed to quiz vocabulary sets you make on the fly using Accordance.

Read through the ReadMe file to get the gist. Hopefully in a year or so I'll improve upon FlashCord. Some people around here still swear by it.

I think they're crazy.

:)

Kit,

I guess I don't publicize FlashCord much... a search in the forum didn't even turn up a link. You can find the package here:

http://student.tcu.edu/jweaks/accordance/flashcord.zip

It's a basic flashcard program... no bells/whistles, just designed to quiz vocabulary sets you make on the fly using Accordance.

Read through the ReadMe file to get the gist. Hopefully in a year or so I'll improve upon FlashCord. Some people around here still swear by it.

I think they're crazy.

:)

Joe,

Thanks a lot.

Kit

Archived