Possible CNTTS Error!

thegoodfight

I am working through the text of Revelation, and think I may have found an error in the CNTTS.

At Revelation 20:6, the CNTTS lists Alexandrinus (A02) as having the future tense of "reign" (βασιλευσουσιν), however, I have examined the manuscript (thanks to Accordances manuscripts module!), and A02 appears to actually have the present tense (βασιλευουσιν). This error would be easy to make as the manuscript script for sigma looks like a "c", and thus an omicron could easily be read as a sigma.

I will attach a screen shot below.

P.S. Not sure if the screenshot worked, but thought I'd let ya know!

post-29401-0-24602400-1365729878_thumb.png

With Accordance 9.5.3 and up you can report a correction from the program by highlighting some text in the module with the error, and going to the Help or the right-click menu. This is the best way to get the corrections noted and filed where they will be acted on for the next release of the module.

After reviewing images of the manuscript on the British Library's website, I would agree that this seems to be a mistake.

Although this variant isn't included in the NA27 apparatus or the textual commentaries of Metzger and Comfort, it is included in the Tischendorf apparatus... where Codex Alexandrinus is listed as the only supporting witness of the present tense. I'd say this is a good indication of the enduring value of Tischendorf's work!

Nice!

This points up the vale of having actual manuscript images at hand to consult. Scribal mistakes are not unique to the ancient world, the are common in modern biblical studies as well, even among the most punctilious of us.

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Nice!

This points up the vale of having actual manuscript images at hand to consult. Scribal mistakes are not unique to the ancient world, the are common in modern biblical studies as well, even among the most punctilious of us.

Dr. J

Not to be funny, but did you intentionally include some scribal errors in your post?

• 9 years later...

I sure agree that this is a mistake based on the photograph,

It is a shame that the 2021 update did not fix this mistake. 

See also my post here: