#101) Digital Concordances

Timothy Jenney

[Accordance 10: Basic] Remember the old printed concordances of yesteryear? They were “must have” tools for Bible study, but each Bible translation needed a different one! Thankfully, modern Bible software has set us free from those sorts of limitations. In this podcast, Dr. J celebrates Accordance’s twentieth anniversary, reminding us of some of the advantages of digital concordances—and the reasons we should be grateful for them.

http://youtu.be/5Y0wlA4_Uzo

[Link fixed]

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Not sure if this will copy properly here, but try this one (or copy the above link location and remove the second "http//")

http://youtu.be/5Y0wlA4_Uzo

Edited by Julie Palmer

Thanks for the podcast, Dr J. We sold our NASB Exhaustive Concordance on eBay this year. It hadn't been used in over a decade.

We're getting rid of LOTS of books we don't use anymore because we've gone digital. The basement looks like a packing facility, with stacks of flattened boxes (purchased in bulk from Amazon) and lots of packing material and tape. We also sold Franklin electronic Bibles (anyone remember those?). And a big, bulky parallel Bible. And a Harmony of the Gospels. Accordance has revolutionized our Bible study around here, and considerably reduced our physical library.

Hah! I understand, Julie. My bookshelf gets its most use as a backdrop for the podcasts. I am wondering if I should donate my library to some library somewhere.

A bunch of the stuff we sold went to a guy in Hawaii – Steve wanted to make a personal delivery . . .

We're just happy to have the stuff out of the house and to someone who can use it.

When the electricity goes off....you'll be sorry that you gave away your library! :-)

I'm still building bookshelves. I grew up with books everywhere and I love having them around. So I'll happily keep the extra insulation and enjoy just reading them. Its hard to beat a book for simple serial reading, even though digital has many advantages. There is something very nice in just turning pages.

Thx

D

• Like 1

I'm still building bookshelves. I grew up with books everywhere and I love having them around. So I'll happily keep the extra insulation and enjoy just reading them. Its hard to beat a book for simple serial reading, even though digital has many advantages. There is something very nice in just turning pages.

I don't think I'll ever lose my fondness for the books themselves, regardless of the content. I even miss the smell!

We're 62. Whatever stuff we leave behind, our kids will have to deal with. So if we're not using it, or using as a loaner, we'll get rid of it. We still have a lot of books, however, because not everything comes digital. And there are some books that I, like you, like to pick up and read or browse.

A lot of the stuff we have in Accordance are things we've never owned in print.

• Like 1

I even miss the smell!

:) Yep that too - more than one reason to stick your nose into a good book. Or a secondhand bookstore. When I first read this comment I thought immediately of my hardcover copy of Blass, Debrunner, Funk which has that wonderful good quality paper and ink smell. The smell of warm computers just isn't the same :)

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler
  • Like 1

Glad to know I'm not the only one who smells books (and, occasionally, computers).