The Kingdom New Testament: A Contemporary Translation

Kit

Will you consider to create a module for The Kingdom New Testament: A Contemporary Translation (by N. T. Wright)?

Thanks,

Chris

http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-New-Testament-Contemporary-Translation/dp/0062064916/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323061370&sr=1-1

Will you consider to create a module for The Kingdom New Testament: A Contemporary Translation (by N. T. Wright)?

Thanks,

Chris

http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-New-Testament-Contemporary-Translation/dp/0062064916/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323061370&sr=1-1

We've discussed it internally as a desired item; too soon to know any details. Thanks for the request.

• 1 month later...

Ditto that! I just received my copy of this and it's fantastic. It'd be great to have it in Accordance.

• 1 year later...

The request was also made here. How have I gone on as long as I have without careful attention to this translation? I've just become more aware of it through the NT for Everyone set. What I've seen so far is really good. Comparing it to other Bible translations (using the Compare text feature in Accordance) would be really useful.

What is special about this translation?

There's a good balance of faithfulness to the original and readability. It reads as easily as The Message by Eugene Peterson, but is not a paraphrase like Peterson's is. An example:

Romans 4:18-25, Abraham’s Faith—and Ours
18 Against all hope, but still in hope, Abraham believed that he would become the father of many nations, in line with what had been said to him, ‘That’s what your family will be like.’ 19 He didn’t become weak in faith as he considered his own body (which was already as good as dead, since he was about a hundred years old), and the lifelessness of Sarah’s womb. 20 He didn’t waver in unbelief when faced with God’s promise. Instead, he grew strong in faith and gave glory to God, 21 being fully convinced that God had the power to accomplish what he had promised. 22 That is why ‘it was calculated to him in terms of covenant justice’.
23 But it wasn’t written for him alone that ‘it was calculated to him’.24 It was written for us as well! It will be calculated to us, too, when we believe in the one who raised our Lord Jesus from the dead, 25 the one who was handed over because of our trespasses and raised because of our justification.

Wright says of this passage (this is all in NT for Everyone): “The older language, ‘it was reckoned to him as righteousness’, gives off so many different messages now that it’s hard for us, hearing it, to think the thoughts Paul had in his head.”

For Everyone: The Complete New Testament Collection (N.T. Wright) (18 volumes) contains this translation.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

Yep. The benefit to having it as a Bible would be the ability to (1) have it all together as an actual Bible and (2) compare it with other Bibles, which you can't currently do in NT for Everyone, as it is a Reference Tool (and split up with the commentary). Not to mention it would be more affordable for those who wanted just the translation (though the commentary set is reasonably priced, I think).

I'd like to see more NTW in general in Accordance....

• Like 2

I am not too familiar with NT Wright but I just watched an interview on Inner Compass. Very interesting person that makes you think. Cool.

He is a scholar I highly respect, highly intelligent, quite open minded but very traditional in his beliefs and biblical interpretation.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis
  • Like 2

It's a pretty amazing combination of skills, traits, and sensitivities he has.

• 2 months later...

I also concur that this would be a valued addition to Accordance. I often consider using Wright's translation in my sermons, so it would be helpful to have a digitized version of the text for the production of a sermon manuscript for my partitioners

• 8 months later...

I made my own digital version right after it came out as a Kindle ebook. I imported it into Accordance and use it regularly. It's a fantastic translation.

• Like 2