Italicized Words

christopherstrother

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new user to Accordance. I tried out the trial version for several days, and I purchased the Bible Study set up with some additions. I have been using it for about 10 days now. It's been great for me! I look forward to expanding my use of this great tool.

My standard Bible is KJV with Strong's. I have noticed that none of the words are italicized in the King James in Accordance. I greatly enjoy looking up verses and copying and pasting them directly into my pages document for my sermons, but I always wind up double checking them against my printed Bible for words that should be italicized. This is tedious work. Having the words that should be in italics actually be in italics is important to me. Am I missing something? Is there a setting I need to change or something I need to select? I've tried to do some reading in the forums to find this topic but have been unsuccessful.

Thank you for your help!

Christopher

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new user to Accordance. I tried out the trial version for several days, and I purchased the Bible Study set up with some additions. I have been using it for about 10 days now. It's been great for me! I look forward to expanding my use of this great tool.

My standard Bible is KJV with Strong's. I have noticed that none of the words are italicized in the King James in Accordance. I greatly enjoy looking up verses and copying and pasting them directly into my pages document for my sermons, but I always wind up double checking them against my printed Bible for words that should be italicized. This is tedious work. Having the words that should be in italics actually be in italics is important to me. Am I missing something? Is there a setting I need to change or something I need to select? I've tried to do some reading in the forums to find this topic but have been unsuccessful.

Thank you for your help!

Christopher

Can you give an example of a reference (or portion thereof) that should be italicized? It could either be an error in our version, or it could be that the font you're using doesn't support the italics style. I'm assuming you're on Mac, right?

Hi Rick,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Yes, I am on a mac running 10.9.1 and my Accordance is the latest at 10.3.3. My preferences are set up using the Earth Theme for my text. It is a Big Caslon 16 pt font for the text color.

Just for an example, Hebrews 1:2, 3, 8, and 9 should all have italicized words in them. None of them are italicized in my KJVS text in Accordance. That goes for every single italicized word I've come across thus far.

But just to double check before sending you a reply I left it on Hebrews 1 and changed the font to Times New Roman, and voila, italics appeared. That's news to me that some fonts don't support italics. Apparently Big Caslon is one of those fonts. Thanks for the tip!

Christopher

Hi Rick,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Yes, I am on a mac running 10.9.1 and my Accordance is the latest at 10.3.3. My preferences are set up using the Earth Theme for my text. It is a Big Caslon 16 pt font for the text color.

Just for an example, Hebrews 1:2, 3, 8, and 9 should all have italicized words in them. None of them are italicized in my KJVS text in Accordance. That goes for every single italicized word I've come across thus far.

But just to double check before sending you a reply I left it on Hebrews 1 and changed the font to Times New Roman, and voila, italics appeared. That's news to me that some fonts don't support italics. Apparently Big Caslon is one of those fonts. Thanks for the tip!

Christopher

Glad this solved it. Accordance does not render italics if the font does not have a specific style for it. In FontBook my copy of Big Caslon only has medium, whereas Times New Roman has Regular, Italic, Bold, and Bold Italic.