Highlighting Crash

rcdeacon

I was trying to highlight in the Apologetics Study Bible notes (not sure if that is possible but I was trying) and as soon as I clicked on the highlight type Accordance instantly crashes. I tried a second time with the same result. I had the HCSB Bible active in the text (right) pane and I had a split window with HCSB Notes and the Apologetics Study Bible notes sharing the pane (not another zone, part of the text zone) under the text pane. I had the highlighting palette open and a series of reference materials in the left pane. Never really had Accordance do this consistently before.

EDIT: I added the Apologetics Study Bible into the reference pane and tried to highlight and once again an instant crash.

Bob, are you able to highlight in any other tools and texts?

I've had similar things happen before, and was resolved by removing the highlight file and replacing it with a older one backed up on Time Machine. The highlight file / system is somewhat fragile. I've had this happen more than once, and often when Accordance is having problems, it is related to the highlight file.

David,

The answer to your question is yes! I can highlight in all of my other resources seemingly its just the Apologetics Bible study notes.

Additionally, I do not have an older highlight file to revert to. In fact, I had to rename my old highlight file because I ran into a sync problem and Keith in Tech Support suggested the name change on the highlight file. I can sync fine now but any effort to highlight in the Apologetics Study Bible notes results in an immediate crash!

Reverified again this morning. ANY attempt to highlight in the Apologetics Study bible notes delivers an immediate crash. I mean you INSTANTLY go to the desktop screen. No warning, no error dialog box, no nothing. I don't even get a beach ball! I've used this product for what would be considered a relatively short amount of time but I think the people of Accordance (Oak Tree) would desire to look into this anomaly.

Bob: I think your highlights file is corrupt. I can highlight fine in that module. If you can restore from a backup you may find that it works for you. If you are completely stuck, you can zip and send us the file, but there is no guarantee that we can fix it. There is no way for you to edit it and remove a corrupt section.

Thank you so much Helen. I recently had to rename my highlight file for other problems with syncing between my iPad and my MacBook Pro. Although I have Time Capsule that does backups I'm thinking I'm not sure how far I need to go back to get a good highlight file.

Helen,

You were absolutely correct! I started a new highlight file and I can highlight in the Apologetics Study Bible normally. Wonder what happened to my highlight file? Oh well, will start marking again!

You can have multiple files, so I do recommend that you retrieve an old copy of the file so you haven't lost everything.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps Accordance should start collecting corrupt highlighting files from customers and beefing up the program logic internally so that Accordance is more robust...? Simply going "poof" and vanishing without a trace probably isn't the best way for a program to handle corrupt data. At a minimum, a popup saying something like "Highlighting file 'XYZ' is corrupt. Please revert to an old copy" would be an improvement. Better though, would be for Accordance to not corrupt highlight files or gracefully repair any corruptions found as/when they are found. I "lay the blame", so to speak, at Accordance's feet as I have not (yet) had a hardware- or OS-related file corruption.

Anything Accordance can do to protect customer data, notes, highlighting, etc will be greatly appreciated (and will improve Accordance as a product).

I just now experienced the same crash when using the "asterisk 8" method to do a highlight. If this is really caused by a corrupt file, isn't it a bit odd that so many of us would experience the same corruption at this time? I am using version 9.5.7 and my mb-pro has run Accordance without incident until now.

Sorry. It should say "command 8"

Command-8 is not crashing for me. If it crashes Accordance repeatedly for you, please contact me off forum to arrange to screenshare and demonstrate the problem.

Archived