Accordance for Android?

Dr. Nathan Parker

Another thing I'm curious about...

Now that Accordance is being developed for Windows users, are there any chances of seeing Accordance on Android in the future? I personally use an iPhone (and will be getting an iPad), so I can already enjoy Accordance on my iOS devices, but what about our friends using the other major mobile platform out there?

Thanks!

There is valid reason to consider it. If you are offering a windows program, android may be more important. While i like iOS, I am aware of numerous mac owners who use android devices. Likewise, I have no stake at all in this pony race but think it would be a good thing to do...

-Dan

Sounds great. I love your iOS app, and it makes sense to eventually bring it to Android. I'm sure enough people out there would definitely use it and love it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have some needs in a tablet device that iOS probably won't ever fill, as I don't get general access to the filesystem, so an Android device would be very nice. The main drawback for me would be not having the Accordance app available ...

Yes, I love my iPad and Accordance is incredible on both Mac and iOS - but I did just pick up a Nexus 7 for Christmas and I'm thinking it would be a smart move for Accordance to create an iOS like version for that platform. The fact that user notes are migrating to be cloud-usable is also a big indicator that it might be a necessary move. People just expect to have their data with them, on whatever platform they want to use.

I know it's not a trivial endeavor, though.

This would be HIGHLY valuable not only to me but many others as well. I understand as well that it is a BIG project but mobility has come to be the "norm" rather than the exception. Currently I use another product in order that I may not only carry my notes and highlights with me but can also add notes and highlights "on the fly" if need be. This is very handy at meetings and church services. I do not always carry my ipad and since I cannot get reliable iphone service I am "locked" into using an android device. This is in NO WAY to be construed as a complaint but as a confirmation of a great need for us Accordance users who either have or must have android devices.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As a Pastor with a Mac, I use Accordance all the time. I have also been fairly pleased with the Iphone app, and I am turning to it because it has more of the reference material on the go then other Bible apps. On the other hand, I am seriously considering a Nexus 7 purchase and I am also not sure what computer I am going to need next (probably a year or 2 out). I will therefore be considering upgrading my Bible software in the next year or 2 and I will definitely want one that is cross platform with good cloud support. There I would request that you seriously consider developing an Android app. The number of Android users is eventually going to pass Windows (if it has not already), and I really do not want to have my hardware purchasing options limited by the major software that I use. Thanks for considering it.

Would it be easier to create a web enabled version any web enabled device can connect to? It'd appear to be operating on the device but everything is hosted...kind of the direction The Rosetta Stone took and I think they still offer a DVD version as well as the online version.

An Android version may become a possibility, it isn't yet, but a web based version is not. There are plenty of web-based alternatives, although none with the capabilities of Accordance. The speed and power of Accordance depend on fast access to the modules on the device, and would be lost with web access, not to mention the interface limitations we would encounter.

I have made the move to an Android phone and tablet. I would welcome an Android app also.

An Android version may become a possibility, it isn't yet, but a web based version is not. There are plenty of web-based alternatives, although none with the capabilities of Accordance. The speed and power of Accordance depend on fast access to the modules on the device, and would be lost with web access, not to mention the interface limitations we would encounter.

Yeah, I was just throwing out ideas. Would hate to lose the responsiveness and ability to work from anywhere without a connection.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm re-chiming in with another +1 for the Android app. I'm moving from my iPhone to an Android phone next month (getting tired of my iPhone), and it'd be great to have Accordance on it.

Hey -

I saw this yesterday. Interesting. I have no idea how good the arguments are. Probably worth the read, however.

http://macdailynews.com/2013/03/25/is-googles-android-on-the-ropes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wordpress%2FxhfA+%28MacDailyNews%29.

I don't think Android is on the ropes. What I believe you're going to see is further fragmentation. Amazon really started this with the Kindle Fire--a highly customized version of Android geared around their services. Now Samsung is doing the same thing with their phones and tablets. In a world of a hundred different Android devices, this is the only way these companies can differentiate their products.

But Google won't phase Android out because of this. They have their own devices they're selling. What they ought to eventually do is start charging these companies for it after all their customers have bought in and have invested in Android apps. It'd be easy enough to do with the release of a new version of Android. They could easily charge $5 or $10 a device. And then suddenly Google has a brand new stream of unlimited income.

Android is also open source, meaning that its source code is available to anyone to use and modify. If Google were to drop it—which seems very unlikely, and isn't exactly coming from an unbiased source (this is Mac Daily News, after all)—anyone else could pick it up and keep developing it. If you're interested, that's the origin of Mozilla Firefox; it's the old Netscape Navigator, made open source and resurrected! Samsung or one of the other, more profitable stakeholders would probably maintain the OS.

That said, as an avid Android user I'd love to see an app. I have no plans of switching to an iPhone any time soon. This phone has lasted me two and a half years so far, longer than any Apple product I've ever had...

http://www.technightowl.com/newsletter/2013/03/newsletter-issue-695/#ropes is the actual source. MDN just pointed to it. I am not saying it is unbiased, but if you read the discussions after it you do get a better idea of many of the issues (which i hope are becoming fewer. There have been major software companies that had been in both camps and folded. There was one particular gaming company that basically said there was no profit in Android for them, Android revenue accounted for less than 15% of their revenue but was taking up 85% of the companies time trying to help their customers. Twitter (which i have never used), had to release over 500 versions to cover 95% of android devices. There is many new handsets out every month, and a vast majority of them have had android tweaked, to set them apart from the rest, now that is great for companies but can introduce problems or developers. Now with a dedicated team of developers willing to work on a project from the ground up I am sure Accordance could do a fine job with it, and maybe it is far less complex than i have been lead to believe. Accordance has yet to complete their iOS app fully (it's pretty good but has several rouge edges and i know many would love to have the atlas on it), and this is inspire of the fact that iOS code is very related to OS X code, and easier to adapt than would be for a totally separate system. I do understand why you want an Android version, and yes it would be nice to have one that ran well on the kindles, nexus' and galaxy brands, but I don't see it happening anytime soon, maybe in a few years if the windows version takes off and they are getting thousands of requests something may happen but for now we have been told Accordance has as much on their plate as they can handle.

-Dan

PS:I am sorry to hear you had bad luck in phones with Apple. I am pretty klutzy and my old 3GS is still alive and kicking as remote for my AppleTV, which my spouse has had to replace phones 4 times in that period, 3 samsung, one sony. And indeed the current Galaxy Note usb charging system is failing, my helper and his family have had nothing but phones dying on them too, thankfully Bell keeps replacing the phones for them under warranty (various samsung), and within a week of his step son getting the Galaxy III the case cracked, yes this was a known structural defect, but he has decided to live with it since typical teenager he can;t fathom being without his phone for 2-3 weeks while it is repaired and it's always in it's otter box. My mother in law again has gone through 3 phones in the past 2 years. I am very glad you found a quality product but that seems few and far between for android phones from my friends and in-laws experience. I am very happy with my iPhone 5 and customer satisfaction ratings tend to be highest for Apple fairly constantly.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to add another request for an Android app. I just moved to a Note 2 and I think it's a great platform. Would love to have Accordance as my go to traveling Bible on it.

I'd like to add that from my persepctive, too, an Android app would be very much appreciated. I do use Logos on my Android phone, but it doesn't even come close to the power that Accordance provides. I greatly miss the Accordance app that I had access to back during my iPhone days. Please do consider developing an Android app.

N.B. Your policy of distributing the iPhone app free of charge to all Accordance owners is very generous; however, if this generous policy prevents the feasibility of developing an Android app, then by all means do charge! I know that I would be willing to pay several hundred dollars to receive an Android app as capable as Accordance's iPhone app, and if many other users feel the same, perhaps it would be feasible to develop the Android app after all. What do y'all think?

• 11 months later...

I think the news is the same. NOT in development at this time and probably won't be for quite some time if at all (with all due respect to the fine people of Accordance, the "if at all" is MY assessement and not that of Oak Tree Software)!

Bob, you are a little too pessimistic! We haven't started development yet, it's true, but hope to start soon, and yes, it will take a while to get it right, which is always our goal.

• Like 2

Having just bought a nice new Android phone recently this is great to hear. When the time comes if you need help testing let me know.

thx

D

Helen, sorry for the pessimism but former conversations on this issue seemed (at least to me) to indicate that it was so low on the list that I took that to mean that it was not likely to happen. I DO know that if and when it is released it will be a quality product and I thank you and the team for those products already in existence.

David: you are a great tester, please remind us a year from now.

• Like 1