Holman Dictionary in Reference Tools?

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I just discovered that the Holman Dictionary has moved from the English Tools category to the Reference Tools category. I'm thinking this is a bug, as it's not organized by Scripture reference.

OK, more weirdness: If I open the Holman dictionary from the library, and then choose to change the tool using the drop-down in that tab, I'm given the English Tool list. Once, the Holman dictionary showed up at the very bottom of the list (it should be at the top), then it disappeared from the list again.

It's in English tools on my computer. Sounds like something wonky (that's a technical term) is going on with your Accordance installation.

Well this version has some odd behaviour. It asked me to find a file I located it it told me this is not the file locate the file, it crashed when i closed the window. Opened up Accordance again, it once again asked me to locate the file, I did and it was happy. :lol:Pleases don't tell us that windows has infected Accordance to give us weird buggy behaviour.

-Dan

PS: Hope your Windows version is coming along well.

• 1 month later...

Note that I had this happen again, both with Holman and Eastman. [EDIT: on further reflection, I think it was likely Eerdman's Dictionary, not Easton's]. Removing the tool from the library and adding back seems to fix it temporarily.

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Happened again today with Holman's Dictionary. Any idea what's happening here and how to stop it? I can fix it by removing and adding it, but that gets tedious.

A few other notes that may or may not be helpful. Holman's is at the top of my English Tools. It is one of the few tools in the Tools folder that has a visible atool extension. Eerdman's is another, and it is second from the top in my English Tools. I suspect that sometime before my post on the 25th, Holman moved to Reference Tools leaving Eerdman's at the top, and then it, too moved.

Lorinda

Hey — Holman is the dictionary at the top of my English Tools, and I almost always get there by a shift + triple-click from a text. I've not had any issues, and Holman has remained in the category to which it belongs. This seems to be affecting only a couple of you. Very strange indeed.

Interesting. I wonder what the difference is? Next time it happens to me, I'll try to remember to see what happens with triple-click. When it has happened to me, I have (usually) been doing "New>Reference Tool" from the toolbar. I do triple-click if the word is in the text, but sometimes I'm looking up something related to a question I have been asked, etc. and thus I want to search the dictionary directly.

Lorinda

• 2 weeks later...

It happened again today. I went to the English Tools icon on my toolbar, looking for Holman, and it wasn't there. Sure enough, It should up as a Reference Tool.

I tried triple-clicking a word in the text, and it searches Eerdman's dictionary, which is now the top entry in my English Tools because Holman got moved to Reference Tools. (Typically, Holman is on the top at English Tools).

Note that Holman always moves to the top of Reference Tools when it moves. So Accordance knows it belongs at the top of a list, just not which one.

I'd really like to hear from somebody from Oak Tree about this. Is there a fix in the works? Are there things I should be looking for to help you reproduce it? Do you need a copy of some preference or plist from my machine when this happens to help you track it down?

Lorinda — That's just plain weird! I'm sure you've already done the obvious stuff? Disk Utility —> Repair permissions? Do you have any software that looks for corrupt files, etc.?

Lorinda, how many sub-folders and sub-sub-folders do you have in your Library?

I know that, when I had many sub-folders (some of them three levels deep) Accordance started behaving very strangely. I finally talked directly to Joel. Seems there's some sort of limit on the Library organization. He mentioned to me (pointedly) that normal users never have such issues! [Chuckle]

He suggested I simplify my library organization. I did and all the weirdness disappeared.

• Like 1

While I accept that a rare use case might not constitute an urgent bug, it does appear there is a bug here then. Given people are wanting more and more resources it would seem good to fix.

Incidentally, I am wondering if tagging support for modules ala Calibre and such might be, or had been considered for an alternative way to organize and search the library.

Thx

D

Daniel, it is not so much the number of modules one has as the number of folders, sub-folders, and sub-sub-folders. As a podcaster and trainer for Accordance, I have every module Accordance publishes on my computer: far, far more than any normal user is likely to get. I am not having any trouble now, since I eliminated deeper layers of subfolders and used a simpler organizational style.

My issue may not be Lorinda's though, but I thought I'd mention it just in case she made the same mistake I did. If she did, and there are other users out there now experiencing it, it is probably now time to devote some programming resources to it. I'll let tech support figure that one out.

Oddly enough, our programmers don't think my personal case warrants spending programming resources that could be better invested to give our users new features. Go figure... ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, Dr. J.. I only have 9 folders across the whole of my library, only one in English Tools, and no nested folders/sub folders at all. So I'm guessing that's not the problem.

Lorinda

• 4 weeks later...

Happened again this morning. I have discovered, however, that I don't have to remove the tool from my library and add it back to straighten things out. Instead, if I do New>Reference Tools>Holman Dictionary, once it pulls up in a tab, Holman appears back in the English Tools list.

Lorinda

Accordance 10.3 on Mac OS 10.8.5 (although it's happened once for me on Windows, too)

I've seen this too on my machine, but (even scouring through the code) haven't been able to reproduce or solve it. Keep the reports coming, especially if you can find out what sequence of actions causes it.

Thanks, Joel. So far I haven't been able to identify a common thread. At one point I thought it might happen when Accordance was open for a long time (like overnight). But I'm pretty sure I opened Accordance up this morning not long before it happened.

So it happened again today--this times on Windows (Vista Home Premium). Earlier in the day I upgraded to Accordance 10.3.1, and I had a couple of crashes after that, before I noticed it. I went to the "New" icon on the toolbar, chose Reference Tools, and there was Holman, sitting at the top of the list.

To clear things, I selected the resource I was after, and it opened in a new tab. Once I had found what I wanted there, I used the drop-down in that tab to choose Holman (which still showed at the top). Then I used the drop-down again: it still showed me a reference tools list, but with Holman at the top. Then I chose a different Reference Tool from the drop-down. When I checked the drop down again, Holman had disappeared, and I was able to verify that it was back where it belonged at the top of the list of English Tools.

Lorinda

A few more details:

-I had only one two-zone workspace open, plus a User Notes Edit window. (It's happened before when I have not been editing User Notes)

-I don't know if Holman was in the right place before the earlier crashes/restarts. I'll see if I can't remember to check it's location every time I start Accordance.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found it! Lorinda, you have the MT-LXX Interlinear, do you not? :) I believe it (when loaded) is what's throwing everything off.

I do. I haven't used it much, but that might still be it. Is ther anything you need me to do to verify that it's the problem?

I believe if you load a pane that contains either a potential hebrew text (HMT-W4, BHW-W4, etc.) or LXX text, such that the MT-LXX is an option, it will trigger the bug. So, it happens sorta regularly, but we aren't always pulling up our hebrew or septuagint.

That could be it; I've been doing a lot with Hebrew of late. I can't get it to trigger at the moment that way, though.

Aha! I just got it to trigger. I quit Accordance, then reopened it, added a Hebrew pane, and behold! Holman shifted to Reference Tools!

Thanks for your work tracking this down!