Hidden Scripture links in User Tools (and Notes)

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I really appreciate the User Tools feature. I use it extensively in my sermon prep. One thing I would find very helpful would be the ability to create "hidden" Scripture links.

Every week paste in sentences and/or paragraphs for other resources in my primary sermon prep User Tool, to organize my exegesis. Many of these resources make references to Scripture passage that Accordance can't decipher.

For example, the following is from the TWOT:

A feminine noun from the root ‏חָקַק‎

Lorinda, I pasted your quote into a user tool and made each of the references links without adding an explicit book name. It worked fine, and the references you underlined inherited the book name from the preceding context.

Are you perhaps thinking of user notes? I believe because user notes are not indexed, you do need an explicit book name there, but user tools should handle partial references just fine.

Hope this helps.

What's that old saying about what happens when one assumes?

My guess is that I never tried formatting "bookless" links before, but it's possible I did try in User Notes; I tend to forget there are differences in how the two features work.

So I'm thrilled this possibility already exists. In playing a bit more, I even discovered that Accordance can handle verse-only references like this example from Chris Haslam's Study Notes:

The priest

I second Lorinda's suggestion for a hidden scripture link feature for User Tools and User Notes. Along with that, the ability to link to commentaries, lexicons, etc. and also other user-created modules would be a fantastic addition.

Here's another test case, for reference. This is from Wesley's Notes on Exodus 12:3:

There was much of the gospel in this ordinance: (1.) The paschal lamb was typical. Christ is our passover, 1 Cor. v, 7, and is the Lamb of God, John i, 29. 2. It was to be a male of the first year; in its prime. Christ offered up himself in the midst of his days. It notes the strength and sufficiency of the Lord Jesus, on whom our help was laid. 3. It was to be without blemish, noting the purity of the Lord Jesus, a lamb without spot, 1 Pet. i, 19.

In the Accordance modules, the underlined references work just fine. But if I copy and paste this quote into a User Tool, then try to make links from these references, Accordance can't recognize them. (I did actually verify this before posting this time :) )

Lorinda

When we make tools we do add aliases for references like these that are not recognized by Accordance, but it's quite complicated to do it and so these are not supported for user tools, sorry!

Just to clarify: I know these kind of references aren't currently supported by user tools, and I do understand that you can't code for every possible variation of Scripture reference. That's why I'd like to see something like a "hidden link" feature available in a future version of User Tools. I was hoping it could be something as simple as BB Code syntax. For example:

[Link=1Cor 5:7]1 Cor. v, 7[/link]

would result in 1 Cor. v, 7, which, when clicked would take the user to 1Cor 5:7.

It would be even niftier if there could be a simple little dialog (similar to what the forums here use for insert link) that let the user enter the text to be formatted as a link and the correct reference.

All that said, I am in no position to know whether or not that's feasible to do. If it is great. If not, then I can certainly continue to manage as I am now.

Lorinda

Archived