English Revised Version (RV) of 1881-85

Ryan Kilgore

I know it's pretty old, but it was a pretty groundbreaking version in its time. I'd like to do some study with it, comparing it to the KJV and their respective GNT editions (Textus Receptus vs. Wescott/Hort). What's the possibility of getting this English Bible as a module?

Is there an etext available in the public domain?

After a bit of searching, I found a copy of it in the "Online Bible" library. See www.onlinebible.net for their website, or www.onlinebible.net/bibles2.html for the direct download link. It's listed under the ERV or "1885 English Revised Version." They're distributing it for free and since it's so old, I'm guessing that it's in the public domain, although you'd probably know more about that than me. Also, it looks like maybe this text is only available in Windows, although you could run it in an emulator or just copy/paste it from a Windows machine. I was able to install their software on a windows box I have and get to the text, although it seems kinda clunky. <_<

Let me know what you find.

The ESV was ground-breaking, the first truly modern translation of the Bible into English. Ryan, I'd be interested to learn the results of your research when complete.

~Alistair

I think you mean ERV, the ESV is truly new and fully American.

According to the useful Bible Researcher website, the REV or ERV wss published in 1881, 1885, and 1895 (Apocrypha). The American Standard Version was a minor revision of the RV for the American market, published 1901.

Thus the ASV, which is available with Accordance, is very close to the ERV. It was also the basis for the later revisions of the RSV (my first "modern" Bible, a school prize) and the NASB.

I am still not sure that there is sufficient demand for the RV to justify the effort.

Alistair,

I continued searching last night for about 3 or 4 hours through pages and pages of Google results based on various search phrases (It seems that this particular version has been referred to by a number of different acronyms: RV, ERV, REV, and HBRV (Holy Bible, Revised Version)). What I posted earlier seems to be about all there is. BibleWorks just added it in their version 7, and it's fairly rare even in print form. Ebay/Half.com had 0 results for it, but I did find a few on Froogle for like $350 (they must be really old print editions). There also seems to be a KJV/RV parallel which wasn't as expensive. Apparently from what I've read, this version didn't overtake the KJV like the publishers had hoped. Then the American version (ASV) was released a few years later, which did seem to become a bit more popular, so apparently the RV just never became as widespread.

Helen,

Obviously this isn't the latest and greatest Bible, but it has my vote anyway. :) Thanks for taking the time to consider it.

-Ryan

Ryan,

I think I have a couple of copies of the RV. You're welcome to pop over and browse for a few hours!

In fact, I even photographed the translator's introduction in order to OCR it. Still needs another run through the spell checker, though! When I get around to completing it I'll forward you a copy, or post it here, if you want.

To my knowledge the UK 1881/5 version has always been known as the Revised Version. The US version of 1901 was, I think, a complete translation in its own right, rather than an Americanised version of the British version, but strongly dependant on the scholarship and research of the British translators. The US version is known as the ASV, but to my knowledge the UK version is just the RV.

From the first edition (NT only) of 1881: [sorry, no guarantees as to the accuracy of the OCR]

THE

NEW TESTAMENT

OF

OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR

JESUS CHRIST

TRANSLATED OUT OF THE GREEK:

BEING THE VERSION SET FORTH A.D. 1611

COMPARED WITH THE MOST ANCIENT AUTHORITIES AND REVISED

A.D. 1881

PRINTED FOR THE UNIVERSITIES OF

OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE

OXFORD

AT THE UNIVERSITY PRESS

Brevier 16mo.] [All Rights reserved

PREFACE.

THE English Version of the New Testament here presented to the reader is a Revision of the Translation published in the year of Our Lord 1611, and commonly known by the name of the Authorised Version.

That Translation was the work of many hands and of several generations. The foundation was laid by William Tyndale. His translation of the New Testament was the true primary Version. The Versions that followed were either substantially reproductions of Tyndale's translation in its final shape, or revisions of Versions that had been themselves almost entirely based on it. Three successive stages may be recognised in this continuous work of authoritative revision: first, the publication of the Great Bible of 1539–41 inthe reign of Henry VIII; next, the publication of the Bishops’ Bible of 1568 and 1572 in the reign of Elizabeth; and lastly, the publication of the King’s Bible of 1611 in the reign of James I. Besides these, the Genevan Version of 1560, itself founded on Tyndale’s translation, must here be named; which though not put forth by authority, was widely circulated in this country, and largely used by King James’ Translators. Thus the form in which the English New Testament has now been read for 270 years was the result of various revisions made between 1525 and 1611; and the present Revision is an attempt, after a long interval, to follow the example set by a succession of honoured predecessors.

Etc etc…

~Alistair

Thanks for the info Alistair. I think you're right about the use of the term "RV." I'm studying some writings from that period that quote this version, and it's always referenced by the abbreviation R.V. It's only on numerous websites that I've run across the other three acronyms.

If we don't ever get an official Accordance module of the RV, I'd be happy to receive the OCR work you're doing Alistair. It wouldn't be as convenient as an official module but definitely better than nothing!

Another thing I forgot to mention was that the Bible Reader for handheld devices by Olive Tree www.OliveTree.com also has this version. However I don't have any handheld device, and there doesn't seem to be a Windows or Mac version, so I wasn't able to get to the text easily, although I did download and fiddle with the module.

-Ryan

Ryan,

I tried to get the Online Bible file for the RV. I have the Mac Online Bible but the free modules for the PC version don't appear to be compatible with the Mac version.

I say "appear" because the files are .exe files. I changed the filetype to .zip and expanded it to an installer and a .801 file, which should be the text. Mac Online Bible expects a file "VERSION.DAT", at which point my reather meagre hacking skills petered out

Archived