Comparing Texts and their vocabulary

peguard

I guess this is a basic action for most of the scholars, and I know that in Accordance exists the command 'HITS', but is not clear to me how to use it. Can anybody explain to me how can I compare two different texts and see the words they have in common? Right now I am working on John's Gospel and should study the similarities between different passages and, eventually, compare them with others of the Synoptics or of the Old Testament. Thanks a lot and God Bless.

My guess is that you would get more mileage out of the INFER command in the end rather than a simple HITS search.

HITS will however reveal the overlapping and distinct vocabulary. To do that you need to tabs on your chosen text.

In the first set the range to say Matthew and search for *

Then in the second set the range to John and search for [HITS <name of your Matthew tab>]

This will highlight all the common vocab. You could also do a *@-[HITS <name of your Matthew tab>] to have it highlight the distinct vocab.

Thx

D

Thanks, Daniel.

Your explanations have been really very helpful to understand the logic of these commands in Accordance. I'm working on my PhD in John but until now I have a very basic knowledge of the program. Thanks again and God Bless.

Pedro Guardiola