Accordance 10 Training?

Bodie Quirk

Accordance Team,

Congrats on releasing the most beautiful and powerful Accordance ever!

I wanted to know what kind of training opportunities you have planned. I VERY MUCH enjoyed the Accordance 8 Training DVD, but I would really love to see something similar for Accordance 10. Having some Video demos of the new features, setting up recommended preferences and most importantly, modeling expert use of Accordance is something that I believe many people long for. It is one thing to have a powerful program at your disposal, but something altogether different to have an expert show you how and why they use it the way they do, as well as highlight what features are most important.

What plans do you have for helping people become more efficient and powerful Accordance 10 users?

Thanks!!

• Like 1

Hi Bodie, I have never used the training DVD, but find the podcasts - Lighting the Lamp in iTunes, or from the support page on the website - are sufficient for my needs anyway.

http://www.accordanc...e-Lamp-Podcasts

When I add in David Lang's blog it keeps me learning all the time.

http://www.accordanc...log/index.html/

Finally lots of people appreciate "live hands on" so we offer training demonstrations from time to time

http://www.accordanc...inars-And-Shows

Then, just ask us! We love to help

Edited by Ken Simpson

The plan at present is to replace some of the older podcasts with a new series, and to continue to offer them as a series, albeit it will never be comprehensive. The help files are systematic and comprehensive and pretty much up to date. I highly recommend working through them.

The Help files are very helpful and I like the HTML system. It would be great as well if there were an iBooks version that one could just read through.

I think a iBooks training series (Help Files and How-tos) would be beneficial, but it would be rather time intensive. I think the Syntax Manual (whenever it might be dome) would be a great item to produce in iBooks Author.

Edited by James Tucker

The Help files are very helpful and I like the HTML system. It would be great as well if there were an iBooks version that one could just read through.

I have an app on my iPad called GoodReader that I use to work with documents offline. You can transfer the Accordance help files from your local copy (found at Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance Help/) to GoodReader using a variety of options: wifi-sync from within GoodReader, iTunes, Dropbox..).

Once you have them transferred over to GoodReader, you can then select Default.htm in Accordance help to get started reading in GoodReader's browser.

I'm using Calibre to try and make an ereader (iPad, Kindle, whathaveyou) compatible file of my copy of the Accordance 10.1 help files. I'll post back here if I am successful or not.

Thanks for all the responses! Good thoughts and suggestions! However, expert-led video training is really the best way to learn software. As a subscriber of Lynda.com, I guess I am just used to having "courses" on software products like Photoshop or Word, that are led by an expert, and organized by topic. That was why the DVD was such a great resource! I know that there are things that still apply, and I could watch it and apply it to Accordance 10, but it is just not the same. The podcasts are absolutely fabulous, I just wish there was more of them! I realize that it is quite a laborious undertaking, and I am by no means complaining. I just want more!!!

Accordance Team, would it be possible to video record the live, accordance trainings? That would definitely be a way of getting more, and more in-depth, as well as real-world Accordance use.

Thanks!!!

Hi, Everyone!

We're producing new podcasts just as fast as we can. Expect podcasts in the near future on our new Accordance 10 collections, a tour of the suite of Bible study tools in our program, flex-search, auto-context, and more!

I know other companies often have video training series, usually at a pretty steep cost, but we are committed to providing free training to our users. Our podcasts, blogs, forums, and all-day training seminars are free.

I am also writing a complete course on Bible Study Methods that features Accordance 10. Expect the first installment (or so) this fall.

Stay tuned...!

Edited by Timothy Jenney
  • Like 2

I know other companies often have video training series, usually at a pretty steep cost, but we are committed to providing free training to our users. Our podcasts, blogs, forums, and all-day training seminars are free.

If you are planning to attend one of the upcoming Fall Seminars in Canada, please ensure that you register. See you there!

Here is a listing of scheduled seminars (which can also be found on the link above):

Free Training Seminars

• Sat. Sept 8th, Knox College~Toronto
    59 St. George St., Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 2E6
  • Sat. Oct. 13th, Los Angeles after WHW Conference
    Calvary Chapel Bible College Costa Mesa, Santa Ana
  • Fri. Oct. 19th Trinity Western University, Vancouver
    7600 Glover Rd., Landley, BC Canada V2Y 1Y1
  • Sat. Oct. 20th, Regent College, Vancouver
    5800 University Blvd., Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 2E4
  • Between the ETS & SBL Conferences
    Fri. Nov. 16th, Chicago, IL
    Moody Bible Institute
    820 N. LaSalle Blvd., Chicago, IL 60610.
    Bld/Rm Sweeting-Rm #319

I am also writing a complete course on Bible Study Methods that features Accordance 10. Expect the first installment (or so) this fall.

Stay tuned...!

Could you say more about this, Dr. J? I want to develop a class for upper-level undergraduates on the Bible as hypertext, using Accordance to explore the new forms of "text" generated within digital environments. It seems obvious to me that technology like this will be as profound in the long run as was the codex and mass printing. These would be students without language training, so part of it will be the hermeneutical effects of engaging the "original" through tagged databases, parallel commentary, etc.

For example, most people would say that the Geneva notes were as important as, if not more than, the translation itself. What kind of hypertexts will accompany the Bible in the future, transforming not just the interpretation but our perception of the text itself?

This is a thread jack, and I apologize.

Could you say more about this, Dr. J? I want to develop a class for upper-level undergraduates on the Bible as hypertext, using Accordance to explore the new forms of "text" generated within digital environments. It seems obvious to me that technology like this will be as profound in the long run as was the codex and mass printing. These would be students without language training, so part of it will be the hermeneutical effects of engaging the "original" through tagged databases, parallel commentary, etc.

For example, most people would say that the Geneva notes were as important as, if not more than, the translation itself. What kind of hypertexts will accompany the Bible in the future, transforming not just the interpretation but our perception of the text itself?

This is a thread jack, and I apologize.

This ought to be a fun and engaging class. When I taught Methods of Biblical Interpretation at my Alma Mater, I did something similar.

It's been on my mind for sometime that a history of interpretation will need to include a chapter on Bible Software sooner rather than later. Most importantly is interpretive decisions in light of the matrix of information. I would love to engage any material you might have or would like to share.

I taught Bible Studies Methods on an undergraduate level for many years—and wrote a correspondence course based on the class. I've also taught Theological Research Methods on a graduate level. Here's a rough outline of what the course [intended to be a free module within Accordance!] will contain:

Introduction

1. Choosing the "Right" Translation for Bible Study

2. Inductive+ Bible Study

3. Choosing Additional Resources Wisely

4. A Series of Three-Step "How-Tos..." (Study a Word*, Study a Person, Study a Place, Study a Book, Study a Topic, etc.)

5. Putting it All Together: Exegeting a Passage

6. Expository Preaching/Teaching

Conclusion

*-this topic will have two sections: one for those using texts with key numbers, one for those with knowledge of Greek and/or Hebrew.

This project has been in the works for some time, but we wanted to wait until the release of Accordance 10. Now, that Acc 10 is in the wild, our screenshots and video clips (yes, the module will contain both) will be up-to-date. We've also had some internal discussion about releasing this on the iBooks platform as well. We'll see...

• Like 4

I taught Bible Studies Methods on an undergraduate level for many years—and wrote a correspondence course based on the class. I've also taught Theological Research Methods on a graduate level. Here's a rough outline of what the course [intended to be a free module within Accordance!] will contain:

Introduction

1. Choosing the "Right" Translation for Bible Study

2. Inductive+ Bible Study

3. Choosing Additional Resources Wisely

4. A Series of Three-Step "How-Tos..." (Study a Word*, Study a Person, Study a Place, Study a Book, Study a Topic, etc.)

5. Putting it All Together: Exegeting a Passage

6. Expository Preaching/Teaching

Conclusion

*-this topic will have two sections: one for those using texts with key numbers, one for those with knowledge of Greek and/or Hebrew.

This project has been in the works for some time, but we wanted to wait until the release of Accordance 10. Now, that Acc 10 is in the wild, our screenshots and video clips (yes, the module will contain both) will be up-to-date. We've also had some internal discussion about releasing this on the iBooks platform as well. We'll see...

This looks like it would be a stellar module to have, I sure hope it does come to light. Lighting the Lamp on steroids, anyone? :P

On another note, I have just finished putting together version .01 of the Accordance Help for version 10.1 iPad ebook (EPUB format). Check it out!

https://www.dropbox....20Software.epub

I've figured out a pretty quick way to remformat the TOC and I'm working on a way to automate this so I can run a script on each new version that comes out.

I also can create a Kindle friendly version if anyone is interested.

I've already made version .02 which has a much improved Table of Contents, but that will have to wait until tomorrow to upload.

NOTE: All content is copyright OakTree of course. :)

Edited by T. Conrad

The transient nature of Help Files are tricky when it comes to developing into an EPUB. Calibre does a mildly decent job, but I suspect you'd get a much cleaner file from which to produce an EPUB if you loaded the site in Dreamweaver (condensed the files and packaged the images). The biggest limitation I see thus far is that Calibre isn't producing a CSS sheet to manipulate the markup, which will make for a laborious task to edit the XHTML to make it render correctly on each respective reader.

Just some thoughts . . .

I agree, the fact that the Help files are updated with each point update to Accordance (and more often on the server-side) makes it difficult to manually do this each time.

However, thankfully, because there is an xml file that has the toc in it, I just needed to run a few regex-based find and replaces commands and delete some dirs with scripts in them and the second version is relatively useable with a nested toc (which epub supports, but I suspect the azw format does not). It's certainly not perfect, but very readable and retains much of the formatting from the original.

I do have Dreamweaver (though I much prefer working with Coda 2), I'll try what you suggested. My hope is to have it it automated enough that I can just input the new Accordance Help directory into a script and it will clean out the unnecessary files, iterate through the chapters (in case new ones have been added) and output a relatively clean, cross-linked file for easy consumption.

As far as I understand, once I have a clean enough EPUB, Calibre can pretty happily convert to just about any other e-reader format without too much tweaking. At least that's what the manual says.

Edited by T. Conrad

Bodie Quirk's original post expresses what I am looking for. So many of the podcasts are simply too fast or not orderly enough to learn how to use what appears to be a very different user interface. I have experienced and been guilty of doing this myaelf. I ask someone how to do something and she/he says, "easy just <a fast flurry of mouse clicks and/or keystrokes)> see?" No I don't see. As I've said I've been accused of doing this myself.

I guess what I'm looking for is a series of podcasts that are meant to bring us into the new UI. So far the Accordance 10 Podcasts I've watched are more product demonstrations that are mean to wow the watcher but not show him/her how to do it.

With Accordance 8, the user interface was radically different from any Bible software I had used. The training DVD help me quickly (in a few days) get over the learning hump. The changes in Accordance 9 were such that I suspect I missed half of the new powerful features and now with 10, I fear I'm getting further behind.

I'm almost afraid to upgrade at this point. While a new training DVD would be great, a series of podcasts that had the same approach as the training DVD did but broken into 5-15 minute pieces would probably do very well. One thing else we could use is an ordered list of which podcasts took you through the learning curve. As a user, I find the list of podcasts not very ordered. If I am looking for something in particular, great I can usually find it. But that doesn't give me the order to watch podcasts to get reintroduced to Accordance.

Bruce

Bruce, we do hear you, we just cannot sideline anyone from our team to spend 6 months to a year just to produce the series you are wanting! It may eventually prove necessary to hire someone just to produce a new training series, but we are not yet ready to do that. To be fair, you have only seen one podcast for Accordance 10, and that was an overview. We are planning a more detailed look at some of the new features, but our podcasts need to be varied to maintain the interest of a wide audience. For many people they are the face of Accordance.

At the rate of one every 2 weeks, it would take forever to get a comprehensive series of podcasts explaining every feature to the new user. A different format would be needed. For now, please be assured that we are doing the best we can. We are getting a lot of feedback from our users that 10 is easy to adjust to, despite the changes, so i do not think you should be afraid to upgrade.

Helen, thanks for the assurance. Based on past experience I've decided to risk the upgrade and hope I will not have too much trouble. BTW, the original training DVDs for 8 by no means covered every feature, but it made it easier to get familiar with what at that time was a revolutionary interface. I had only worked on PC based Bible study software and found Accordance completely another world. Bruce