User Notes pre-filled with text from a verse

Abram K-J

Has someone already created a User Notes file that is already populated, verse-by-verse, with the text of each verse? I realize that one can view Notes alongside any translation, but my personal workflow is such that I often end up copy-pasting the verse text up at the top of a User Note for that verse anyway, just for quick reference. And so I can do the sort of color-coding and note-taking as shown in the attached screenshot.

I realize there are other ways to do this in Accordance--highlight the text, just take notes in the Notes, etc. I also realize that I can set my Notes text to whatever text and see the verse when I hover over a hyperlink. But I like having the verse itself copied into the Notes.

Specifically I'm thinking about the GNT--either with GNT28-T or NA28-T.

If someone hasn't created a file like this that they're able to share, is there an easy way to tell Accordance to paste the text of each verse into the Notes, so as to not have to do it manually?

post-31802-0-24339600-1388502715_thumb.png

It sounds like a job for AppleScript Abram. I can't see an easy way to just select blocks and have individual notes entries created for each verse in the selection and paste the text in with it. I had a bit of a poke about and I couldn't see an option to paste the text with the ref. into user notes.

Thx

D

A paste text into User Notes option would be awesome.

Maybe the inimitable Joe Weaks will know if/how a script is possible for this?

I imagine creating and distributing an already-filled User Notes file would raise copyright concerns. I'm interested, too, in a way to do this sort of thing! Perhaps down the line an option could be incorporated into preferences similar to what now exists for pre-populating a user note with the reference? It might be made more flexible by allowing an option between a given text and the text at the front when one creates a new note…

• Like 1

I wondered about the copyright issue also Tony.

Abram, my first attempt at this in AS has hit a snag I knew about but do not yet know a solution for. I don't know how to move focus to the search tab results so that they can be copied into the note. I do know how to do repeated queries altering them on each iteration and how to move between zones and such but not this I'm afraid.

But another thought - would a User Tool be an easier route ?

tx

D

I haven't used User Tools enough (yet) to know, but that's not a bad idea; I might try. However, I'm not sure those are any easier to pre-populate than User Notes?

It would be easy but not useful to create a user tool with all the Bible verses. What you really need here is not for someone to create such a Notes file, since there are so many Bible versions, but for our dedicated developers to add an option to populate a new Note with a particular version of that Bible verse. I like the idea, but it will have to take its place in the rather long queue of planned features.

• Like 2

Hi Abram,

Yesterday evening as an exercise in GUI scripting Accordance I managed to get this going in prototype form. I was able to get a script to produce a user note with a note entry for the first 24 verses of chapter 1 of Matthew, each populated with the verse text. I just cleaned up my test note and reran it this morning. It takes about a minute to do the 24 verses. To be really useful it would need code cleanup and some notion of the number of verses in a chapter and chapters in a book. I don't know how to query for this kind of information in Acc programmatically, so I'd probably tabulate it in the code. I've done that on another GUI scripting experiment with Acc recently and it worked ok. But in this case it would be an exercise to obtain the data to cover the GNT. The problem is that GUI scripting doesn't get good feedback from the application. You have to put sleeps to handle timing issues (which is why it takes so long) and you have to try to avoid having unexpected things happen.

But with all those caveats if you are still interested I can give you the code. The result is like the attached note file which was done with GNT28-T.

Thx

D

Abram Test Note.acc4.zip

• Like 1

Daniel,

Thanks for your work! I would find this helpful, too. The immediate application I'm thinking of is preparing a User Notes file for a Hebrew exegesis course.

Tony

Sure, Daniel! That sounds great. I'll message you my email address through messages on the forums.

Though I have very little coding experience, so I'm not sure I could do what's needed. Willing to try, though.

Hi Abram, Tony,

I've attached it here as there may be more interest in such stuff. Perhaps this will serve as small example.

I've commented the code fairly heavily, not line by line, but generally with all the gotchas and limitations I can think of.

As I get more time to think about some of these things I'll try to work out how to provide solutions to them in a library. But for now have a grotty prototype as a way to welcome in the new year :) Oh and when running this first time around and perhaps anyway I would recommend having only the one required workspace open and using a new User Note for it. Am I paranoid about data - oh yes. :)

Let me know if you have issues.

Thx

D

AccTestInNotes.app.zip

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It would be easy but not useful to create a user tool with all the Bible verses. What you really need here is not for someone to create such a Notes file, since there are so many Bible versions, but for our dedicated developers to add an option to populate a new Note with a particular version of that Bible verse. I like the idea, but it will have to take its place in the rather long queue of planned features.

I found myself wishing for this again today. I think Helen's suggestion for the way to go about it makes a lot of sense. Could this become an option in an upcoming update?