Confusing construct search

A. Smith

The pictures below will explain everything. When I do a construct search for andres (vocative aner) followed by a noun or adj also in the voc within 4 words and set the search text to search within every clause, I get 17 hits (which I know isn't right). When I do the same search but specify clause in the construct search and 'book' in the search text I get 30 hits (as it should be). Why is there a difference? BTW, while this probably belongs in the original language forum, I put it here because of the clause question.

post-29320-020958300 1310044974_thumb.png

post-29320-054965700 1310044987_thumb.png

The pictures below will explain everything. When I do a construct search for andres (vocative aner) followed by a noun or adj also in the voc within 4 words and set the search text to search within every clause, I get 17 hits (which I know isn't right). When I do the same search but specify clause in the construct search and 'book' in the search text I get 30 hits (as it should be). Why is there a difference? BTW, while this probably belongs in the original language forum, I put it here because of the clause question.

There is currently a bug so that results in the book versus chapter syntax searches may differ.

So far it appears that the chapter search seems more accurate (at least, for the Hebrew database).

There is currently a bug so that results in the book versus chapter syntax searches may differ.

So far it appears that the chapter search seems more accurate (at least, for the Hebrew database).

I can understand that. However, what I don't understand is why a clause search in the construct window returns a different result than a clause search in the search window when all other variables are the same. Or, are you saying that this is a part of the bug? I also don't understand why the clause criteria makes any difference at all for this search? Since these two words that I'm looking for aren't going to span a clause, why does it matter if I search clause, chapter or book? I must be missing something somewhere. Please help if you can.

One more thing, unrelated. It would be helpful if, in the search details box, we were able to see the syntactic tagging in the analysis tab also. In other words, aside from just seeing that words a, b, and c are found in this search, we could see that in this search word 'a' is used as an subject here, an appositive there, etc. It's not relevant to this search, but it would be helpful in other circumstances.

I can understand that. However, what I don't understand is why a clause search in the construct window returns a different result than a clause search in the search window when all other variables are the same. Or, are you saying that this is a part of the bug? I also don't understand why the clause criteria makes any difference at all for this search? Since these two words that I'm looking for aren't going to span a clause, why does it matter if I search clause, chapter or book? I must be missing something somewhere. Please help if you can.

One more thing, unrelated. It would be helpful if, in the search details box, we were able to see the syntactic tagging in the analysis tab also. In other words, aside from just seeing that words a, b, and c are found in this search, we could see that in this search word 'a' is used as an subject here, an appositive there, etc. It's not relevant to this search, but it would be helpful in other circumstances.

One clarification to my previous comment: searching by "clause" is highly discouraged. All syntax searching should be done by chapter or book. This is coming from the programmer. I believe all the programming has been within those domains and so I would not use the clause option at all when doing syntax searched. I can't explain it; I'm just relating it.

On the details box

Patience, syntax friends, patience.

haha. No rush, I understand there is a long list and many priorities. No worries. Thanks for the clarification.

Archived