Desktops in Lion and Accordance

Robb B

I think there is a minor bug in Accordance related to assigning Accordance to a specific desktop. When I create a second desktop (or space, to use SL terminology), and open Accordance in it, I then assign Accordance to that desktop (using the right-click options on the dock). Quitting Accordance, moving to a different desktop, and then re-opening Accordance does not open Accordance in the space to which it is assigned. Accordance opens to whatever desktop I am viewing. In one instance, the pallets opened in the correct desktop, but the search window did not.

I just had this same experience and came here to log it when I saw there was already a thread about it. I've tried this a couple of different ways since upgrading to Lion yesterday. I created a 2nd space and pinned Accordance to it. But when I closed and reopened Accordance while in Space 1, it opened there. I tested this with the Evernote Mac app, which a lot of people used. Quitting and relaunching Evernote, it caused the space to which I assigned it to fly over to "receive" the application. So this seems to be an Accordance issue, since I don't think Evernote was even updated for Lion compatibility.

I am having the same issue with Accordance. It simply wants to open in the desktop that you are viewing, not the one that you've assigned it to.

Accordance was exhibiting this behavior during the developer previews and I was hoping it was Lion bug (In Snow Leopard I was able to assign Accordance to a space and everything worked as expected.)

So far, I have not been able to find an easy way for Accordance to support assigned desktops in Lion and we will need more time to investigate.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in with also having this issue.

Having the same problem too. I installed Lion yesterday and created a 2nd Desktop to put Accordance in. I logged out of my account then logged back in. Accordance is now in the 1st Desktop instead of the 2nd.

Had the same thing happen today with Pages, so perhaps this is more of a Lion issue, not just an Accordance issue.

• 1 month later...

Me too. Really looking forward to using the feature. I hope that enough attention is drawn to this bug to get it fixed. Thanks for all you do!

This has been annoying enough to me that I developed a workaround.

1. I don't let Lion reopen apps at log in (uncheck the box when logging out). Personally, I sleep my Mac more than turn it off, so this is a once or twice a week situation with me.

2. On log in, I use the following script to reopen my apps. Copy and paste it into AppleScript editor, modify for your situation, and save as an App (it can even be set to open at login manually).

tell application "iChat"

activate

end tell

tell application "Mail"

activate

end tell

tell application "iTunes"

activate

end tell

tell application "BusyCal"

activate

end tell

tell application "Safari"

activate

end tell

tell application "FoxTrot Personal Search"

activate

end tell

delay 2.0

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "1" using control down

tell application "Accordance"

activate

end tell

tell application "Pages"

activate

end tell

Explanation: Only Accordance and Pages have problems with opening in the wrong desktop, so what I did was have all the other apps open first, then put in a 2 second delay for things to settle.

Then I have the script switch to Desktop 1 (where I want Accordance and Pages to open), then open Accordance and Pages. (Note: if you like that Pages reopens the last used documents, it will still do so).

Note: this assumes that you haven't changed the keyboard shortcuts for switching to a Desktop (Control 1, Control 2, etc.)

Summary: this looks complicated, but in operation, it's quite simple.

a. When logging off, I remember to uncheck the "Reopen apps..." on the box that pops up.

b. After logging in, I run the script that I made (I saved it as an app, so it's just a click) and take a moment to have a drink of tea.

3. Another workaround I did was to close Accordance and Pages before logging off, then reopen them manually after switching to the right Desktop.

Hope this helps someone,

Levi

Archived