What changes will Accordance 11 make in your workflow?

Timothy Jenney

Accordance 11 has brought us the Info Pane, expanded User Notes, improved Research, Combined Reference tools, Topic Search, and other improvements.

What changes do you anticipate making in your workflow as a result of these features?

Edited by Timothy Jenney
  • Like 2

No takers on your question... OK I will give it a shot.

My biblical training has been self taught almost exclusively through the use of bible software going back to the Online Bible on 5" floppies. I did not really understand what many of the resources were for, but plodded through. I updated my software through various other programs arriving at Accordance for version 6. As such, when I study I do not process as some who are trained scholars by processing the information and then selecting a resource for further study from the library as you would with a traditional library. For me, I want to use the software to find out where and what I should be looking for.

I set up a few workspaces using your Bible Study suggestions for ver 10 and prior. I work off a 15" screen, so space is a premium. I set up several workspaces that contained areas I would want to search for additional study information. These include Favorite Commentaries, Favorite Dictionaries, etc. I would then amplify either words of interest or scripture references to these workspaces to further my study.

With Accordance 11 I eliminate all parallel commentaries and cross references in my main workspace,as that information is now available in the Info Pane. I use the new Research search to perform searches on topical material and appreciate that my library is now broken out as options in the research search options. I no longer have to set up groups. In fact I eliminated many of them as they were duplicates. I appreciate having topical suggestions and the parallel passages available directly from the Info Pane as some of them are items I may not consider in my study.

My workspace has gone from the first attachment to the second with much more direct links to pertinent study material.

I really think these changes will be helpful to your new customers or those just starting with Bible Software. It can move them along in their studies by directing them with suggested areas to further their studies.

Hope this answers your question adequately.

post-1391-0-35274800-1416059626_thumb.png

post-1391-0-14588500-1416059641_thumb.png

• Like 1

I have been finding myself turning to the Research Pane daily, multiple times per session. Its lightning fast searches bring me no delay in finding the content I'm looking for (most often, graphics items for class presentations).

Second to that are the Combined Reference Tools, which is a huge bonus. Love having this set up to automatically change. This feature was a boon with the biblical texts too, now it feels truly complete!

Third, the Expanded User Notes. Among other things, the implementation of selecting the desired Notes file to use upon entry is a small but very efficient enhancement.

The other features I use but not as frequently. I have no doubt, however, that they'll find their way into my workflow soon (like Info Pane) etc., and will become second nature to use.

I love Accordance 11!

Edited by Mark Nigro
  • Like 1

To be honest, even though I love Accordance, and the nice updates and the promising future ahead, I have always had a hard time using Bible software and finding any kind of successful workflows for myself. But that is just me.

The info pane certainly helps at times so I can get as much out of a passage as I can.

Edited by RafeAndersen

Wow, great feedback. Thank you~

Rafe (and others), I'll try to produce some podcasts to address workflow this next year. Hang in there!

• Like 3

Wow, great feedback. Thank you~

Rafe (and others), I'll try to produce some podcasts to address workflow this next year. Hang in there!

Thank you very much, Dr. J.

• Like 1

I have an ESV open with the Info Panel in parallel. Since I can SHFT-CTRL +/- through my top Bibles, the other Bibles keep the same reference. I CMD-Click on references in info panel and have another tab open for SHFT-CLICK to do a topic search.

I also have a parallel open with a combined GNT/HMT window from where I can triple click any word to get a instant definition just like I can off the English Bible.

If I click on one of the commentaries, it opens to the selection where I can SHFT-CTRL +/- to cycle through my top commentaries. While in a commentary with a reference, I can now CMD-Click on a reference and they post in the open text pane.

On the other side I have a 2D map open. I've saved the workspace "Efficient Bible Study". If I don't set the workspace to open up by default through preferences, it's available. The other option is to simply open to the Bible by default and then add info pane through parallel. It follows everything you do in the Bible pane.

post-31659-0-95087800-1416090717_thumb.jpg

Thanks Accordance for efficient Bible study!

Edited by Dan Langston

I am still adjusting to the new features and trying to 'remember' to use them. I can already see I'll be doing less amplifying to new tabs and will be going directly to the info pane instead.

I seem to remember in an Accordance version long ago that a command+triple-click(?) on a word would invoke a small window with the dictionary entry. It was clean and didn't take you away from your workspace or muddle it up with another pane. Now with the info pane, option-click brings up a pop-over balloon for dictionaries, verse references and commentaries and the information is scrollable unlike instant details. All those resources being immediately available and never having to loose sight of your original workspace is incredible and helps maintain a clean workflow. Very, very nice!

• Like 1

In short: whereas in 10 I had to create and save new workspaces with relevant commentaries for a given book of the Bible... now in 11 the Info Pane means I can get up and running with research on any book, right away.

I like the fact that they fixed full page mode and I can now use the F11 key to open up any window to full screen. Speed things up when working on my notebook!

I made a Topic Search workspace that has the main text showing only the reference so i can scroll quickly through the many verses. I have a tied in Text so i can actually read the verses I want...

post-31275-0-09165100-1416524529_thumb.png

I made a Topic Search workspace that has the main text showing only the reference so i can scroll quickly through the many verses. I have a tied in Text so i can actually read the verses I want...

Very cool.