Editable text labels on exported pics from the Atlas

Jon Glass

Back in the old days, I could export a pict file from the Atlas, and edit the labels into Polish in Claris Works (yes, that long ago). I was able to continue doing this via AppleWorks even, in OSX. At some point, though, Apple changed or Accordance changed the text smoothing options, and editable labels went away.

However, I still need to change text labels to Polish. Please, please, please bring back editable text labels!!! If one is going to edit them, one doesn't need font smoothing. Please, at least make it an option.

If it has been made available again (I know it was discussed) in the latest, please let me know how to enable it! I just tried in the latest update, and I still can't edit labels. :-(

Thanks for listening (again) to one of my two continuous rants.

-Jon

Jon,

In the Accordance training DVD session on the Atlas, David Lang shows how to change the color/appearance of the text for labels in the Atlas, including ways to make the words invisible. For example, he demonstrates replacing the site names with white rectangles, so that the map could be printed, copied, and handed out as a test.

I'm wondering if one of these techniques could function as a work-around for you, essentially erasing the English labels so that you could add Polish labels in Appleworks or a similar program.

I don't remember the specifics on how to do it, but you could check out the training sessions, which are also available on-line.

Lorinda

Jon,

In the Accordance training DVD session on the Atlas, David Lang shows how to change the color/appearance of the text for labels in the Atlas, including ways to make the words invisible. For example, he demonstrates replacing the site names with white rectangles, so that the map could be printed, copied, and handed out as a test.

I'm wondering if one of these techniques could function as a work-around for you, essentially erasing the English labels so that you could add Polish labels in Appleworks or a similar program.

I don't remember the specifics on how to do it, but you could check out the training sessions, which are also available on-line.

Lorinda

Lorinda-

thanks for that! When I read what you wrote, I went and did some digging in the Atlas, and discovered the features you mentioned! They will make a workable stop-gap until we can get actual, editable labels. Just to give you an idea, having the label already means the text field already exists, the font size and style, and even the size of the text box are already there. We just need to highlight the text, and retype in Polish. A largish map, with a a dozen or more labels can get unwieldy, with creating new text boxes, finding what dot goes with what town, etc. BUT, it's a WHOLE lot better than trying to _erase_! Thanks!

-Jon

Archived