searching for Hebrew forms with suffixes

DavidKrishef

This should be an easy question and doing this search should be obvious, but for some reason I cannot get it to work:

I want to search for all of the forms of a particular word (such as hinei -- heh, nun, heh) with a particular suffixes of all suffixed forms.

When I try to search for heh nun nun yod, I am forced into a "select lexical Forms" screen which lets me select Hinei, but without the suffix. It then returns all occurences of hinei.

This has got to be easy -- it's just not intuitive, at least to my brain this morning.

DK

Weird! here is an email I wrote this morning on this very topic:

Just like any other search with a suffix, there is no lexical form, and the suffix is treated as a separate word. So you need to search for a phrase but define the second word either as an inflected form in quotes, or as a grammatical tag, for example:

‏‎[sUFFIX third masculine]‏ ‎‏הנה‎ ‎

I hope this helps.

David,

To help you understand what Helen is saying, and why you're getting the select lexical forms dialog, I would recommend you download and consult the Quick Reference Guide. Page 9 explains how to search for lexical forms, inflected forms, vowel pointings, etc. At the bottom of the page, it also explains the morphological separation which must be taken into account when searching for Hebrew phrases.

Hope this helps.

Archived