BHS-W4 + BHS-GBS / GNT-T + NA27-GBS

Ken Han

I am interested in maximizing my screen real estate. When I work with original languages I'd like to have access to both the tagging information (BHS-W4 / GNT-T) AND the critical apparatus information (BHS-GBS / NA27-GBS). Currently, in order to do that two text panes need to be opened, displaying redundant information. For example, BHS-W4 in one pane for tagging information and BHS-GBS in another pane for critical apparatus information.

I think BHS-W4 and GNT-T both should come with the critical apparatus information, as the printed texts of those works include them. At the very least, I would love a single module that offers both the tagging information and the critical apparatus information, perhaps not unlike how one can turn on / off superscripts in English texts.

You're not the first to be frustrated by the need to utilize two texts (BHS-W4 and BHS-GBS) in order to have morphological tagging and sigla markings for the apparatus. Here's a solution that will help you maximize your screen real estate. First, open the BHS Apparatus. Next, select Display: Set Tool Display from the menu (or you can simply press command+t). A dialog box will open which allows you to set preferences for your BHS Apparatus module. In the right hand column, you can set the default text for this tool. Select BHS-GBS from the popup menu. Next, click Use as Default and select save. Finally, click OK to close the dialog box.

Now, you only need to have your BHS-W4 and BHS Apparatus open. When you want to view the sigla markers for a particular verse, simply hover your cursor over the text reference in the BHS Apparatus. The text with sigla markers will appear in the Instant Details box. While this solution isn't perfect, it is quite helpful. My understanding is that Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, the copyright holder, will not allow OakTree (or other Bible software developers) to add the sigla markers to their own texts.

Hope this helps.

Sean, thanks for this. Yes, it's not perfect, but it is a very helpful workaround. I appreciate the tip!

Now, you only need to have your BHS-W4 and BHS Apparatus open. When you want to view the sigla markers for a particular verse, simply hover your cursor over the text reference in the BHS Apparatus.

Thanks Sean. This is a great tip.

Thanks Sean. This is a great tip.

You're welcome! I really appreciated it when it was first shared with me a couple years ago on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just coming on the forum to request this feature and am grateful to have found this work-around. Does anybody know how to make it work on the iPad? The apparatus still shows an English text rather than the greek text when I select the instant details for the verse in the apparatus.

The instant Details of all tools on the iOS uses the one Bible: the top Bible in the list. There are currently no individual settings for the texts or tools.

While it's true that you cannot set a specific default text (or alternate text) for tools in Accordance for iOS yet, we actually use the top two texts in the Library view when doing lookups for the tool instant details view. The first text is considered the default text for every tool module and the second text is considered the alternate text for every tool.

So a possible workaround in your case is to reorder the texts in your Library view to have BHS-GBS listed first and your favorite translation listed second when viewing the BHS Apperatus. If this arrangement is not what you want for other tools then simply reorder the texts in your Library view before opening a different tool module.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Archived