Louw-Nida syntax search field

mbcvida

One of the more power features of the Logos syntactical search databases is the ability to search using Louw-Nida domains and subdomains. Would it be possible to add these tags to the syntactical database being developed for Accordance?

• Like 4

One of the more power features of the Logos syntactical search databases is the ability to search using Louw-Nida domains and subdomains. Would it be possible to add these tags to the syntactical database being developed for Accordance?

You can search by domain now. In a search window showing L&N, use the popup menu to the right of the lexicon name and select "Domain" (it defaults to "Greek Entry" but you can change it to search on any of a number of fields).

Actually what I meant to ask was the ability to use the semantic domains from LN within a search argument. For example if I wished to find all the verses where verbs of communication [LN:33] were the predicate in a sentence, or where one could look for all of the references where the subject is a divine being (LN: 12) and the predicate is of the domain of knowing (LN: 28). The OpenText database has this tagging and it is quite helpful.

So what I am looking for is the ability to use LN domains in search arguments of the GNT text

• Like 1

...So what I am looking for is the ability to use LN domains in search arguments of the GNT text

The tagged Greek texts in Accordance are tagged to a different vocabulary list (a custom one that roughly parallels entries in BDAG I think). Some texts are "keyed" to Strongs numbers as well. The texts are not currently tagged with the LN codes, but it could certainly be useful.

I suppose the Accordance folk could do this with an additional text, or by hard-coding an alias database for all the LN codes and what Strong's codes they resolve to.

You're not the first person to request this.

Since I suspect this capability is not going to happen, on the user end, it would be easy to have a script that allowed you to enter an LN code or range of codes and it would convert them to the corresponding Strong's keys in a usable format. I'd be willing to have a look at that, if I had a list of all the LN codes and their words.

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 2

The tagged Greek texts in Accordance are tagged to a different vocabulary list (a custom one that roughly parallels entries in BDAG I think). Some texts are "keyed" to Strongs numbers as well. The texts are not currently tagged with the LN codes, but it could certainly be useful.

I suppose the Accordance folk could do this with an additional text, or by hard-coding an alias database for all the LN codes and what Strong's codes they resolve to.

You're not the first person to request this.

Since I suspect this capability is not going to happen, on the user end, it would be easy to have a script that allowed you to enter an LN code or range of codes and it would convert them to the corresponding Strong's keys in a usable format. I'd be willing to have a look at that, if I had a list of all the LN codes and their words.

Joe, all you would need to do is get one list and then compare it based on lemma, and have the script then unite the numbers. I have a .rtf of the LN index. DM me your email address and I can send it along to you.

DM me...
Done.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

See this post here.

Perhaps searching for LN domains will be possible in the near future?

Hans

• 4 years later...

I too would really love this; would really help with my ongoing research. 

The ability to search in the construct screen using LN domains would save me literally hundreds of hours.

• 4 years later...

I realize this is resurrecting an ancient thread... but did anything come of this, and I missed it?

I had to fire up BibleWorks today to do a search of words in a Louw-Nida domain. It is a very useful feature, and I would love to have it in Accordance.

• Like 9

Excellent question.

For example...

I used BibleWorks and ran a search for all the words in Louw-Nida domain 1. (Takes less than a second)

Generated a word list from the hits results.

Exported word list into Word and ran a few search and replace.

Here is the list of all words in Louw-Nida domain 1, set up to run as an OR search in Accordance.

(οὐρανός, γῆ, κόσμος, δόξα, πόλις, βασιλεία, αἰών, ὁδός, θάλασσα, ὄρος, ἔρημος, μέρος, ἀγρός, ἥλιος, χώρα, κώμη, νεφέλη, ἀστήρ, ἐπουράνιος, κτίσις, ποταμός, οἰκουμένη, καπνός, ὕψιστος, γέεννα, ὅριον, λίμνη, πηγή, ὑψηλός, ᾅδης, παρεμβολή, χωρίον, ἄβυσσος, νῆσος, οὐράνιος, περίχωρος, σελήνη, βάθος, πατρίς, ἀήρ, ἐπίγειος, φρέαρ, χεῖλος, αἰγιαλός, κόλπος, σπήλαιον, ὕψος, ἄμμος, κῆπος, μερίς, ἄστρον, ἐρημία, ῥύμη, φραγμός, χοϊκός, βόθυνος, κλίμα, κρημνός, λιμήν, μεσουράνημα, παράδεισος, τρίβος, ἀτμίς, βουνός, ἐπαρχεία, ἶρις, κοσμικός, νομή, ὀπή, ὀρεινός, οὐρανόθεν, πέλαγος, πόντος, ὕψωμα, φωλεός, φωστήρ, χαμαί, ἄμφοδον, ἀνωτερικός, βυθός, γεώργιον, διέξοδος, ἔδαφος, καταχθόνιος, κολωνία, κωμόπολις, νησίον, ὁμίχλη, ὀφρύς, παραθαλάσσιος, παράλιος, ταρταρόω, φάραγξ, φωσφόρος, χάσμα, χείμαρρος)

All of that took me less than a minute.

Now what we really want is the ability to search for subdomains, and I don't have time to create a whole set of such OR searches properly organized. Further, you really don't want to run big OR searches like this. It would be better to specify a sub/domain.

Still, it would seem that this is not a terribly complex thing to generate. Hoping...

Edited by mgvh

I haven't played with semantic domain searches in Acc in a while but I posted this quite a while ago. It's similar to what Mark does above but uses a script: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/14427-searching-bdag-by-semantic-domain/?hl=%2Blouw+%2Bnida+%2Bsemantic+%2Bdomain

The same thing could be applied to a text, perhaps with a little mod or two. And the Python version is old now.

Thx

D

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Reviving an old thread... Any word on searching using Louw-Nida domains?

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

+1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Mark Allison 

Please acquire the SEMANTIC DICTIONARY OF BIBLICAL HEBREW https://translation.bible/tools-resources/semantic-dictionary-of-biblical-hebrew/ for the OT. 

So Accordance has a Semantic Dictionary for the NT and the OT. And then a good implementation to make the most out of it is needed too. This would be a huge advantage. 

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Yes, I am resurrecting this thread again. I was trying to find all the instances of "fear" in the gospel of Mark, and the best way to do so is using a Louw-Nida domain. It still can't be done in Accordance. Logos has made it possible to do LN domain searches, but it is extremely cumbersome pulling out the list of words. The best solution is still good old BibleWorks.

Hoping that LN domain searching is still on the Accordance development radar.

• Like 8

Thanks for bringing this back up! I'll put it on my radar to look into.

• Like 1