Finding a medial ῥ (rho with rough breathing)

Rod Decker

What's the correct search to find a *medial* rho with a rough breathing? ῥ

Some editorial conventions use breathing marks with (some?) medial double rho's. I'm trying to verify that these either do or do not occur in UBS/NA texts or in LXX (Rahlfs), or to find some other published Greek text that do so. I've seen this orthography, but can't pull up any instances.

I've tried:

"=?ῥ*"

"=*ῥ*"

and several other variations in GNT-T and LXX1 with no results. (Some searches find any such character, including initial position, but I need a *medial* instance.) I also searched for ρρ and scanned all the hits. Maybe one of these searches is valid, but with no results, I can't verify it.

Rod,

I am certainly not the most qualified person to answer this question, but I am also unable to find any examples of a rough rho occurring inside of a word. The proper syntax seems to be:

"=*?ῥ?*"

but this has no hits in any of my greek texts. Confirming the syntax, if I search for

"=*?ῆ?*"

I get seemingly legitimate hits.

Rod,

I am certainly not the most qualified person to answer this question, but I am also unable to find any examples of a rough rho occurring inside of a word. The proper syntax seems to be:

"=*?ῥ?*"

but this has no hits in any of my greek texts. Confirming the syntax, if I search for

"=*?ῆ?*"

I get seemingly legitimate hits.

Thanks Joel. That confirms what I had concluded--though I'm glad to have an "official" search string!

Does anyone happen to know of specific printed texts or reference tools that use the medial double rho with breathing orthography, even if it is not in an Accordance module?

Rod,

perhaps it would be useful to point that Joel's search adds the ? in order to make sure that there is at least one character before the rho.

This is because * stands for any number of characters, from zero on, while ? stands for one character.

I have found in ἀναῤῥηγνύντες in Joseph-T, specifically in Bellum Judaicum 6, 429.

Marco

Oops, for some reason my initial attempt to search my greek texts missed the JOSEPH-T hit. I found one more in PSEUD-T (last word):

Thanks to both Marco and Joel for your help on this. Much appreciated.

I also rec'd an email from a reader who pointed out that this orthography is used in older texts such as Tregelles and Alford's NTs.

I think it's safe to conclude that modern Greek NTs and lexica do not use breathings on medial rho.

Archived