Importing User Tool: Diacritical marks

Thomas

I would like to import my own Ugaritic texts, but I need to know how Accodance needs the special characters to appear. Below are the Unicode equivalents, e.g.:

h+combining breve below u032E (this character is not in unicode, but is essential in ANE transcription; it shows up as "ḫ" here.

ˀ Modifier letter glottal stop u02C0

ḥ combining dot below u0323

I would like to import my own Ugaritic texts, but I need to know how Accodance needs the special characters to appear.

Ideally I would love to map this to one of my three Ugaritic typefaces that I've made, but I'll save that for later ;o). After I get past this, my next quest will be to import Hebrew text to appear as Hebrew.

For transliteration, you need to use Accordance's Rosetta font (see the Help for Doing your own Thing > User Tools as well as the Accordance Fonts.pdf in /Accordance folder/Manuals & Documents/), which supports all the diacritics necessary for transliterating Ugaritic and Proto-Semitic (except for anceps).

Incidentally, Unicode does have code points for h+rocker (Ḫ at x1E2A and ḫ at x1E2B; H,option-H and h,option-h for Rosetta [which is NOT a Unicode font], to get you started...)

For Hebrew, you will need to use Accordance's Yehudit encoding (again, see the Accordance Fonts.pdf, or possibly easier for most cases, copy and paste the text from Accordance itself, using the Yehudit encoding export option in the Greek & Hebrew preferences)

While it is true that you can change the font of a user Bible to Rosetta or Yehudit, the import feature is intended for Bibles in English or other Roman languages. The searching on these other Bibles will NOT work. David's blog makes this very clear. We simply cannot support other languages at present, nor are we likely to do so in the foreseeable future.

It will be easier to make User Tools where you have much more flexibility and can use Rosetta and Yehudit fonts correctly.

If you have Ugaritic and other texts, perhaps we can collaborate to produce official modules for the benefit of the scholarly community.

Archived