Atlas and Google Earth

jwritebol

Right now the Google Earth pictures of the middle east, Israel specifically are pretty low quality... It would be cool if Accordance could integrate their Atlas module to be a .kml or map overlay feature to work with Google Earth. It's not a pressing need, but would be way cool!

Right now the Google Earth pictures of the middle east, Israel specifically are pretty low quality... It would be cool if Accordance could integrate their Atlas module to be a .kml or map overlay feature to work with Google Earth. It's not a pressing need, but would be way cool!

I'm a bit surprised you say the maps are pretty low quality, as from what I can tell, Google maps is using data ranging from 30-15 meters/pixel, while the Atlas uses only 90m data for most of it, due to CD size limitations. What is it exactly you think is higher quality on the Atlas? What makes the Atlas so unique and helpful are the instant correlation with other modules and the completely customizable routes, regions, and sites.

Actually the satellite imagery of the area is pretty low detail, when you zoom in on Jerusalem, you really can't make out where anything is. Have this Atlas overlays such as the roads, towns, etc. would be great - and if they had better arial photos of particular sites as a overlay in Google Earth that would be cool. But again, just a dream... :)

• 5 months later...

I agree. I'd love to see the Atlas made Google Earth aware. The following article on using Google Earth to do armchair archeology makes me think adding this feature could have potential as yet unrealized.

Web lets UNC prof do armchair archaeolog

This sounds like a cool idea, but I think it would distract us from our goal of continuing to produce the best Bible study software. For now the new Atlas release 2 with 90 m data will have to suffice.

Archived