Good News for the Emulator

Helen Brown

At last I found an old version of StuffItLite which will enable users to compress Accordance User files such as Notes, Tools, Highlights, etc., and move them via their Windows system to another Emulator or to a Mac. I have posted it here. This is great news as it means that you can now save all the work you want in Accordance itself, knowing that you can export it when you upgrade to a Mac (as well as share it with other users).

I also discovered that the Adobe Reader version 8 corrects the overlapping characters sometimes seen when printing text to PDF from Accordance.

These discoveries correct the two limitations that have troubled me about the emulator.

• 3 months later...

Is Stuffit Lite free? Or is there a cost associated with it?

I'd highly recommend all users who work with Adobe (PC or Mac) to update to Adobe Reader 8 if they haven't done so already. It's much faster & more streamlined, plus it fixes the errors you mentioned. Well worth the download.

Thanks!

Nathan

Current versions of StuffIt are not free, but this is such an old version that I felt there was no problem in offering it to our users free of charge. Remember that the Mac OS 7 is a 15 year old system! It is hard to find any software that will run on it. For example, the Adobe Reader that it supports is version 3, cannot open any new PDF files and is useful only for looking at the PDFs generated by Print-to-PDF.

Current versions of StuffIt are not free, but this is such an old version that I felt there was no problem in offering it to our users free of charge. Remember that the Mac OS 7 is a 15 year old system! It is hard to find any software that will run on it. For example, the Adobe Reader that it supports is version 3, cannot open any new PDF files and is useful only for looking at the PDFs generated by Print-to-PDF.

Great! I'll install Stuffit Lite onto the emulator this weekend.

As for the Adobe 8 comment, actually I was referring to people who use the emulator to update Abobe on the PC side, & if you're a Mac OS X user who has Adobe on your system (as I do), then I'd highly recommend updating it. It's faster, more streamlined, easier to use, more secure, & works out a lot of bugs. As for the emulator, yeah it's running a very old copy of Adobe & can't open too much. And I know Adobe will never port version 8 over to classic, so users will need to update their PC side & copy the files over for opening. I remember the good old version 3 days, & I remember the day I had versions 3, 4, & 4.1 running on the same PC. That was a mess!

Thanks a bunch!

Nathan

........ As for the Adobe 8 comment, actually I was referring to people who use the emulator to update Abobe on the PC side, & if you're a Mac OS X user who has Adobe on your system (as I do), .....

I have a contrary view about Adobe 8 Reader for MacOS X. It is a hodgepodge of restrictive DRM, nonstandard installers, and bloated features I don't want or need. And in my experience, Adobe is not a very customer friendly company. I have uninstalled, erased, and forgotten the nightmares of using Adobe 8. Use Preview, Reader 7, etc. instead.

• 2 years later...

The link for Stuffitlite doesn't seem to work anymore. Is there a new link?

Mark

Archived