LXX1 and LXX2 and English

RCosta

I purchased LXX1, LXX2 and the English translation LXX-B. A few newbie questions please:

1) What is the difference between LXX1 and LXX2 (LXX2 seems to be empty? Or does it contain apocrypha?)

2) I was hoping that when I highlight a word, say in KJVS, that it would highlight the corresponding word in LXX1 (for example). Or, in the very least, when highlighting a word in LXX-B, it would highlight the corresponding word in LXX1.

3) It seems I can't search LXX1 or LXX2 by Greek key?

Are these features available in a more pricey LXX set? I honestly purchased this thinking it would be easy to see the corresponding words, esp. since I'm very novice at Greek.

Thanks!

Edited by RCosta

Sorry, what you would need is an English text of the LXX tagged with the Greek Strong's numbers. This has been discussed here several times, even recently. It's a massive task as no one has done this before, and there are no Strong's numbers for many of the words. The best that you can do is to match the words by looking in the Instant Details for the tagged LXX which you have, or selecting a portion and clicking Parsing.

The LXX2 includes some alternate passages. You can see its contents by making it the search text and double-clicking the Verses button to display all the contents.

So you're saying no such product even exists at this time. Well, what are you waiting for? :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by RCosta

Here it is:

P1 P1

P4 P4

P64 P64

P67 P67

P5 P5

P9 P9

P12 P12

P13 P13

P15 P15

P16 P16

P17 P17

P18 P18

P20 P20

P22 P22

P23 P23

P24 P24

P27 P27

P28 P28

P29 P29

P30 P30

P32 P32

P35 P35

P37 P37

P38 P38

P39 P39

P40 P40

P45 P45

P46 P46

P47 P47

P48 P48

P49 P49

P65 P65

P50 P50

P52 P52

P53 P53

P66 P66

P69 P69

P70 P70

P72 P72

P75 P75

P77 P77

P103 P103

P78 P78

P80 P80

P86 P86

P87 P87

P90 P90

P91 P91

P92 P92

P95 P95

P98 P98

P100 P100

P101 P101

P102 P102

P104 P104

P106 P106

P107 P107

P108 P108

P109 P109

P110 P110

P111 P111

P113 P113

P114 P114

P115 P115

PA Pa

0162 0162

0171 0171

0189 0189

0220 0220

P118 P118

P119 P119

P120 P120

P121 P121

P123 P123

I purchased LXX1, LXX2 and the English translation LXX-B. A few newbie questions please:

1) What is the difference between LXX1 and LXX2 (LXX2 seems to be empty? Or does it contain apocrypha?)

2) I was hoping that when I highlight a word, say in KJVS, that it would highlight the corresponding word in LXX1 (for example). Or, in the very least, when highlighting a word in LXX-B, it would highlight the corresponding word in LXX1.

3) It seems I can't search LXX1 or LXX2 by Greek key?

Are these features available in a more pricey LXX set? I honestly purchased this thinking it would be easy to see the corresponding words, esp. since I'm very novice at Greek.

Thanks!

Another software company has a LXX interlinear so you can see the corresponding English word. It is also tagged so that you can search by lemma, etc. and compare to how the word is translated in the NT. But it is not keyed to Strong's numbers.

Hi,

I am just a beginner with Accordance and language studies...I purchased the MT/LXX modules and I like them...check out the training video for MT/LXX...there is a way to search the Greek but it is little awkward for me...I would highly recommend Mounce for Greek study ......I am a beginner in this and will always depend on software like Accordance because I don't memorize well (Mounce teaches different levels and he minimizes memorization.....check out his webstite www.technia.com) hope this helps!

Frank

Edited by fmcfee

Another software company has a LXX interlinear so you can see the corresponding English word. It is also tagged so that you can search by lemma, etc. and compare to how the word is translated in the NT. But it is not keyed to Strong's numbers.

Perhaps it would be useful to recall that also LXX1 and LXX2 are tagged by lemma, part of speech, etc. and are fully searchable.

As for showing what English word corresponds to a Greek word, they can be seen in the Instant Details box. Just hover over a word, and the Instant Details box will show lemma, part of speech, parsing, and English translation.

As for LXX2, Helen already explained that it contains alternate texts, and that you can have LXX2 show all its content by double-clicking on the Verse button.

The reason why the texts are arranged in two different modules is that they are two separate texts in the printed Rahlfs, where they are displayed one at the top of the page and the other at the bottom.

In turn, Rahlfs chose not to merge the two texts, because they are two different text forms. Even the more recent Göttingen edition, that displays a major critical apparatus, chose to print two separate texts: see for instance Tobit or Daniel.

Edited by Marco V. Fabbri

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I was looking for the "Apocrypha". Nothing of the sort in Accordance?

Yohanan

Sorry, I just found it. I thought it was like the Vulgata where the Psalms have been (erroneously) set into a Vulg2. But it is correctly in the LXX1.

• 8 years later...

I have the LXX Rahlfs Tagged (parallels). What is the "parallel" part of this module? 

From the module notes:

Parallel LXX Text

The following books (or portions of books) have more than one version in the LXX:

1. Joshua

2. Judges

3. Tobit

4. Daniel (including Suzanna and Bel).

In order to easily display these books in parallel in Accordance, a separate text module named LXX2 is used. This module is treated as if it were a separate text, so that the equivalent texts in both the LXX1 and LXX2 module can be searched separately, but displayed in parallel (such as the two translations of the book of Daniel). Both texts can also be searched together in the Search All window, or in the Text Group feature, or by use of the [LINK xxx] command.  Both text modules must be added to Accordance in order to have access to both modules.

—Joseph

• Like 1