Tags, highlighting, and module access

Battlesman

Mac OS X ideas:

A. Tagging/Spotlight-like feature for your library, which allows you to “nickname” or tag items
1. For example, the ability to type “ndbt” for the New Dictionary of Biblical Theology.
2. Or, make tags for each contributor or author, so that one could instantly search for commentaries written by D. A. Carson, for example.
B. Highlighting
1. The ability to highlight in the “Search All” feature as well as in Instant Details popups.
- Currently, if I find a quote in the Search All results that I want to highlight, I have to go find it in the library, since it won't let me highlight in either the Search All results nor the instant details.
2. One letter highlighting
- One of the few things I preferred about Accordance's main competition was one letter/keystroke highlighting. That is, if I wanted to highlight in yellow, I could set the shortcut to "Y" and it did it instantaneously. For orange, I pressed "O." It must be impossible in OSX, since this free app I grabbed a while back called ToDoTxtMac has it. (See screenshot.) I know Command+8 works very swiftly, but I want just one letter. I realize that Accordance currently starts filling in the search box when you type, but I don't always want that. The ability to choose how you want to interact with the app (either by search/command line or reading/highlighting) would be ideal.
3. The ability to highlight inside user tools.
- I know you can edit the tool, etc. But I don't want to edit it, I just want to highlight it! :)
iOS ideas:
A. Accessing modules without downloading them
- If there's a way to do this, please help me understand. So far as I can tell, you have to download the module to use it. Since iPhones, especially, often don't have much space on them, accessibility without having to take up space would be nice.
B. Drag to highlight
- I'll be honest, one of my biggest pet peeves about Accordance is the iOS app. It's functional, but definitely not enjoyable. Highlighting, in particular, is a chore. You get options like "Sentence" or "Paragraph" but this doesn't always work very well, since sometimes a user wants to highlight just a portion of a sentence. Or more frustratingly, when the iOS Accordance app only highlights part of a sentence because there is a quote or a Scripture reference within the sentence that contains a period, fooling Accordance into thinking the sentence is complete. Having a one-finger/slide to highlight feature like iBooks, or Kindle apps would be ideal.

post-32015-0-58764500-1406812176_thumb.png

• Like 1

iOS ideas:
A. Accessing modules without downloading them
- If there's a way to do this, please help me understand. So far as I can tell, you have to download the module to use it. Since iPhones, especially, often don't have much space on them, accessibility without having to take up space would be nice.
B. Drag to highlight
- I'll be honest, one of my biggest pet peeves about Accordance is the iOS app. It's functional, but definitely not enjoyable. Highlighting, in particular, is a chore. You get options like "Sentence" or "Paragraph" but this doesn't always work very well, since sometimes a user wants to highlight just a portion of a sentence. Or more frustratingly, when the iOS Accordance app only highlights part of a sentence because there is a quote or a Scripture reference within the sentence that contains a period, fooling Accordance into thinking the sentence is complete. Having a one-finger/slide to highlight feature like iBooks, or Kindle apps would be ideal.

We have no plans to allow cloud access to modules. In fact, it's always been one of the biggest advantages of the Accordance app over certain others in that we've never required this even partially. This allows very quick searches and no data usage. But of course the flip side is you must have local storage for the modules you want.

"Arbitrary text selection" (the ability to select text at will) will be in ver 2.0, which is currently in alpha testing. This feature is working great and we can't wait to get it released for everyone else.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

We have no plans to allow cloud access to modules. In fact, it's always been one of the biggest advantages of the Accordance app over certain others in that we've never required this even partially. This allows very quick searches and no data usage. But of course the flip side is you must have local storage for the modules you want.

"Arbitrary text selection" (the ability to select text at will) will be in ver 2.0, which is currently in alpha testing. This feature is working great and we can't wait to get it released for everyone else.

Thanks for the feedback.

Now that you revealed one of those new feature we are (im)patiently waiting for...can you give more spoilers? At least to dream till we get iAcc 2.0? Cannot wait :-)

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks, Rick! Glad to know text selection is coming to iOS soon. Can't wait to see it.

As for cloud access, I urge you to reconsider. My library is getting to big for my iPhone (and iPad too, actually), so the ability to at least be able to access modules from the cloud (such as on the competition's app) is invaluable.

Now that you revealed one of those new feature we are (im)patiently waiting for...can you give more spoilers? At least to dream till we get iAcc 2.0? Cannot wait :-)

Ha! Well, we've been pretty open about text selection…the others you'll have to wait for. Plus, more to come after that release.

Thanks, Rick! Glad to know text selection is coming to iOS soon. Can't wait to see it.

As for cloud access, I urge you to reconsider. My library is getting to big for my iPhone (and iPad too, actually), so the ability to at least be able to access modules from the cloud (such as on the competition's app) is invaluable.

I understand where you're coming from, but it isn't even on the radar. And something that major would have to start from the desktop apps (all our apps share the same code base).

Thanks again for the feedback; can't wait for you all to see the next update as well.

• Like 1

I agree with the highlighting on the iOS limitations. It's very frustrating, particularly when I do it with Kindle books and iBooks.

Because we can't "like" specific topics in a post, I want to also add my agreement with the highlighting of User Tools.

I was surprised to see it wasn't possible to highlight a User Tool on the Mac. One fantastic capability of Accordance is to be able to import documents. For me, I import them to read them and mark them. It is a no brainer in my mind. I hope this is another pleasant surprise in the next update.

Thanks for a wonderful program, though. I love both my Mac and iOS versions of Accordance.

Edited by timothyjohn

I just thought of another recommendation:

C. Accessing iOS bookmarks on OSX Accordance

- If there's a way to do this, I cannot find it. I made dozens of bookmarks on iOS on a business trip a few months ago, but was disappointed to find that I couldn't access those same bookmarks when I got back to my Mac later.

I also like the ease of one letter highlighting in the "other software", where a specific color can be assigned to a single specific key. It would be nice to se something like this implemented in Accordance. I have always felt like highlighting could be a little more refined in this respect in Accordance.

Thanks!

Randy

Just want to pop in on this discussion and say "Thanks" for your enthusiasm for our mobile app. I don't think any of us realized just how important this was going to be to our users. All of us on the iOS committee at Accordance are also enthusiastic users, so we share your desire for more features. It's been a bit of a pain adjusting to iOS 7 (soon to be iOS 8), but we're nearly done and, as Rick said, we've got an alpha of Accordance iOS 2.0 we think you're going to love.

Thanks for your support and your patience. It will soon be rewarded.

• Like 3

Would it be foolish to assume that after 1.7 finishes (currently at 1.7.5b3) that 2.0 is next thing coming down the pike?

Would it be foolish to assume that after 1.7 finishes (currently at 1.7.5b3) that 2.0 is next thing coming down the pike?

Actually 1.7.5 is live in the app store. And, 2.0 is not too far off, but we also have plans for a 1.7.6 in between then.

• Like 1

Looking forward to 2.0! Thanks for the update, Tim and Rick.

Rick: are you able to say whether that version will include the ability to edit User Tools as well as to preserve User Notes styles?

Rick: are you able to say whether that version will include the ability to edit User Tools as well as to preserve User Notes styles?

I can't recall specifically where those items are at as far as timeline, but it did come up in discussion recently.

Actually 1.7.5 is live in the app store. And, 2.0 is not too far off, but we also have plans for a 1.7.6 in between then.

Will page-flipping be an option, Rick?

• Like 1

Will page-flipping be an option, Rick?

I don't know if we're going to be able to squeeze it in, but it is very high on the list if it doesn't make it then. Keep in mind our developers are not taking a break after 2.0 is released. So if a particular feature someone wants to see doesn't make it in, it just means we had to make a cut for this release and will keep working on future items.