saving workspace

upheaval

When I save a workspace, it doesn't seem to be doing what the help files say it should. My saved WS does not show up in the favorites, it shows up in the menu list from file, open workspace, but I cannot open it from there. So, how do I open a saved workspace?

You can simply use the "Open" under the Accordance menu.

Alternately, once the Workspace is named, which happens when you Save it, you can add it to the Toolbar button "Workspaces." It's easiest to add commonly used Workspaces from there.

silly me, I didn't even check the open menu, I went straight 'open workspace'

thx....

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I don't think this topic is sufficiently covered. I most often use one main Workspace called "Bible Portal." Everything about it is nearly perfect: zone size, search targets (where a Greek search lands me, a BDAG tab in another zone), my commentaries organized under a tab, my study Bible under another tab, etc., etc. Nearly perfect!

However, ...

1) I occasionally tweak my workspace (make a zone larger, for instance). How do I know that every microscopic change is being saved?! Every time I go to file=> save, Accordance asks me what name to use. Of course, I retype "Bible Portal," it asks me if I want to replace the existing "Bible Portal," I say yes, and it's okay. Frustrating!

How do I know that my workspace is being saved? Why doesn't it autosave?

2) If I ever leave my favorite workspace, "Bible Portal," via the drop-down "Workspace" toolbar, to study in a different workspace, I may never see "Bible Portal" again. I have to close Accordance, and reopen in order to see "Bible Portal" again. Why?!

3) I still do not know when my highlights are being saved. I have tons of verses highlighted in my ESV as highlight style, "Memory Verse." Please tell me, when I set a new highlight, how do I know that it is saved? Is it autosaved? 

Please help. The Accordance workspace issue has made me a nervous-wreck; I never feel comfortable that my settings and highlights are actually being saved. Very, very unsettling. I am sure that there is some "system-thinking" behind Accordance that I have never understood in the years that I have used it.

Thanks.

The workspace is different to highlights. Highlights are automatically saved to the highlights file when you make them. However as always with these things it is always good to make backups on a regular basis. It has been known for highlight files to get corrupted (although it seems a lot less prone to that now) so backups are always useful. Many of us on the Mac use time-machine.

In the case of user notes you have to save the note. That can be done in a number of ways. Saving the workspace does not save the note. That is the same with user tools.

Saving a workspace saves the layout and the resources in that workspace. It also saves the display position of the text/tool (i.e. If you save the workspace and you are currently displaying John 5 in you bible then that position in the text is saved).

The workspaces are only saved when you specifically save them. There would be downsides to saving automatically, not least of which "what constitutes a change?" Changing to a new verse could be considered a change in some circumstances and not in others. Also if you alter a workspace temporarily or so you can save it as a different workspace then automatic saving would not be a helpful feature. Hope that allays some of your fears.

When opening another workspace via the toolbar it does not close your existing workspace. If you are using a mac then cmd `  (press the cmd key and the ~ key together) will swap between open workspaces, or you can use the 'Window' menu. Down the bottom of that menu is a list of the open workspaces; just select the one you want to view. 

Any other questions or clarifications then just ask.

Edited by Steve King

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have difficulties getting this to work as well. When I save my workspace (and click yes to overwrite), Accordance still opens the old workspace next time. Here is what I do:

- make my adjustments.

- save as, choose replace.

- click the workspace-icon and choose: Add workspace to "name".

My workaround has been to save with a new name - but then I have to add that to Workspaces-ikon.

Also: How do I delete a workspace from the Workspace-icon? I can delete it from the Accordance-folder, but how to remove it from the favorites? 

What would be great, would be somelike an "update"-option next to the the names in the dropdown-menu from Workspaces (and delete for that matter).

Morten

Hi Morten, to delete a workspace from the toolbar drop-down, you just need to remove it from the library.

The other issues I can’t speak to, sorry.

post-29509-0-42552700-1425504486_thumb.png

Thanks!

Could my problem be that I use "Default session" under startup - so that no matter how many changes I make to a workspace, Accordance will always start up with the setting saved at the point the default setup was chosen?

I am curious as to why it is not possible to assign a certain workspace at "startup".

Morten

Hi Morten,

just try something out for me. If you have your “default workspace” it obviously has a name (yeah I know - sucking eggs). If you modify it, and save it over the previous workspace (as you describe above) what happens if you open that workspace by double clicking it in the finder? (It should be in User/Documents/Accordance Files on a mac.

Does that show the changes?

Hi Ken,

Thanks, yes: when I open directly from Finder, the changes in layout are reflected alright.

So: "default session" seems to freeze a certain setup and not a certain workspace. This seems a bit awkward to me. I would expect it to automatically reflect my default "workspace".

Am I understanding it correctly?

If: I suggest an option for choosing a preferred workspace as startup.

Morten

To sum up:

- right now there is a difference between "Default Session" and workspaces.

- you only have changes in your "default workspace" reflected, if you remember to go into settings and click "Set Default Session".

There is a subtle difference between a session and a workspace. A session can have multiple workspaces and I suspect saving a workspace does not update a session.

Would setting the startup option to open with 'last session' be any better for you, i.e. opening it as you left it when you closed Accordance?

Hi Steve,

That makes sense. So "the huddle" is to understand that saving a workspace will not be reflected in your "Default Session" - if you do not redefine this in Settings - but only be seen when you open a fresh workspace based on the refined workspace. 

Morten

It is very troubling that the "Workspace" dropdown menu and the Library menu for "workspaces" do not seem to be connected. Are they? 

John, the two should certainly be connected. What is in the library should be reflected in the menu. Is yours not?

Ken, they're connected. Thanks for the help.

John