Original Languages Parallel Pane

wbchan

One of my most frequently used windows in Accordance is the English text in parallel with the original languages (both the BHS and GNT-T). When searching the NASB text, I keep the original languages open to compare, but depending on whether I'm in the OT or NT, there's often at least one text pane that's not being utilized. Thus, a lot of times one-third of my window is blank, simply because I'm not using one of the texts at that moment. I included a screenshot to show what I mean. Would there be any way to either:

1) Create a user module that would define which original language text to search, depending on which Testament I'm in?

OR

2) Set up two parallel panes, side-by-side, and then split one of those panes into two vertical halves? (see the proposed mock-up attached)

The second option probably seems more feasible, since creating an original language module would run into issues with word searches being in different languages. My main desire is to be able, wherever I am in the English text, to reference the original languages, while at the same time optimizing my limited screen real estate.

post-29841-125514264239_thumb.png

post-29841-125514293701_thumb.jpg

Your basic question has been talked about before and, if I recall correctly, the answer/consensus is that there is no perfect solution because a Hebrew text is a Hebrew text and can't be combined with a Greek Text in the same pane (which would be ideal for what you are wanting).

As for you proposed mock-up (#2), I actually requested this kind of pane arrangement a few months ago and was told that the programing to make it happen is so complicated that it would take a very long time to implement a relatively menial pane arrangement option. Now, while I would like to have that kind of pane arrangement option, I would prefer them to focus on developments that are more significant and more worth the time (that's basically what I was told; and I agree).

As a new attempt at your basic question, instead of a great answer, I'll offer perhaps a more practical question. Could you not just have two panes open? One for NASB and the other for original language and just switch the original language text depending on if you are in the OT or NT? As of the recent updates, this can actually be done by key stroke (and not necessarily by going through the drop down menu). To change a text within a pane simply have that pane selected (so that the blue border is around the original language pane) and click cntl+shift+(#). If you rearrange your Bible texts in the Library Window, you can arrange it so that cntl+shift+1 is BHS-W4 and cntl+shift+2 is GNT-T. This way you can easily toggle back and forth to your heart's content.

Now if you want to see OT and NT passages together (specifically passages in the OT that are quoted in the NT), you could simply use the OT in NT Parallels.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Rob! I was totally unaware of that cntl-shift-# trick. Seems like a very useful workaround. With regard to my proposed mock-up, I also just discovered the "Tie" command under the Window menu (Window --> Set --> Tie to...), which might also get close. With this setup, I can have my original languages set up in a separate window, but split into vertical halves and tied to the NASB window. This allows searches in the English to display their parallels in Hebrew and Greek, if available. The only problem is that Key Number highlighting doesn't seem to work between windows.

Thanks again for the input!

post-29841-125524085725_thumb.png

Archived