Accordance Widget and Leopard Problem

JamesBB

I've installed Accordance with Leopard and there are no issues with the main programme BUT the widget doesn't work. I've tried downloading and installing fresh copies of it but you can't (a) turn the widget round to set preferences (no information button appears to click) and typing a reference into the box does nothing at all.

Any thoughts anyone?

Many thanks

James

We have not been able to test and debug the widget yet. Do your other widgets work? Mine didn't on the beta version of Leopard.

Im running leopard and was able to turn around the widget. What I noticed in the AccUpdater, is that there was an update available and I chose to update. Its just hanging on "Installing..". Its been like that for several minutes without a change.

What James described sounds a lot like what happened with the widget when the first beta version of Safari 3 was released.

The AccUpdater widget doesn't work either, and some other widgets don't (though quite a few do)...nothing seems to make them work, I've tried reinstalling, restarting, repairing permissions and all the usual stuff but nothing.

James,

What type of Mac are you using, PPC or Intel? Give us some more info about your setup. I am running 10.5 now on my Intel iMac and my widgets both work great.

Joel,

Have the widgets been rebuilt using Dashcode? That would be a must I would think.

The applescripts that the widget uses almost certainly need to be rewritten based upon changes in Applescript 2.0. For one, Applescript has deprecated the Unicode text class and the string class; Applescript is now fully unicode! woo hoo

Several changes might have rendered the scripts error prone. See the release notes here:

http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/Ap...ript/index.html

I don't have Leopard yet (gimme a couple weeks), so can't help test.

Thanks for the heads up, Joe. I need to revisit Dashcode, but last time I looked, it seemed to be inapplicable to the widgets. Both widgets are doing things far above and beyond what even the dashboard is supposed to be doing, and even Dashcode can be a little to simplistic for normal widgets. I highly doubt moving to Dashcode would be any sort of necessity as despite its existence, widgets are still essentially webpages. However, the problem could lie in the update to Applescript 2, so I will be sure to dive into that.

James,

What type of Mac are you using, PPC or Intel? Give us some more info about your setup. I am running 10.5 now on my Intel iMac and my widgets both work great.

I'm using a new 2.4Ghz iMac with 2Gb. The widgets do sometimes now have a little more functionality. I got AccupDater to work once before hanging and the Accordance Widget itself did allow me to access the settings via the little 'i' once but then I couldn't use the dropdown menu to access versions and clicking 'Done' didn't do anything. So essentially still no functionality. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

James

Joel,

You're right about Dashcode. I think what I meant to say is that if the widget is rewritten to build in Dashcode, it should take care of issues it's currently having. Developing outside of Dashcode at this point, you may be hard-pressed to find the errors that are occurring.

What JamesBB is describing doesn't sound like the problem lies with one of the scripts.

The scripts will be easy to test pulled out into a script editor outside of the Widget. (I recommend Smile as an AS development tool.)

I'm getting some strange characters when viewing verses in the widget in Leopard. I've attached a screenshot.

post-413-1194463512_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I am missing my widget :(

Joel, the redraw issue on the widget is better with 10.5.1 - but it still doesn

What I've discovered on an Intel MacBook Pro is that when the Accordance widget is made active, all other widgets become unresponsive. Here is what the console reports:

11/17/07 6:22:11 AM DashboardClient[228] (com.oaktree.widget.Accordance) undefined: Out of memory (line: 0)

11/17/07 6:22:11 AM DashboardClient[228] (com.apple.widget.worldclock) undefined: Error: Out of memory (line: 0)

The minute you close the Accordance widget, the other widgets become responsive again and the messages in the console go away. Ironically, the updater widget seems to work fine for me and even updated some very old modules I had installed.

Wayne

What I've discovered on an Intel MacBook Pro is that when the Accordance widget is made active, all other widgets become unresponsive. Here is what the console reports:

11/17/07 6:22:11 AM DashboardClient[228] (com.oaktree.widget.Accordance) undefined: Out of memory (line: 0)

11/17/07 6:22:11 AM DashboardClient[228] (com.apple.widget.worldclock) undefined: Error: Out of memory (line: 0)

The minute you close the Accordance widget, the other widgets become responsive again and the messages in the console go away. Ironically, the updater widget seems to work fine for me and even updated some very old modules I had installed.

Wayne

For what it's worth, I could have posted the EXACT same thing. I have a 17" 2.4 Ghz MBPro and the Accordance widget makes all other widgets inactive, and it is inactive itself. I also get the same logs in the Console, and my CPU's run at 70-100% as long as it is on the Dashboard. For now, I'm just waiting on a fix from Accordance before I use that widget. The AccUpdater works fine though. And like you reported, the everything works fine again when I take that main Accordance widget off the Dashboard.

So, I just wanted to add my experiences to the list here so the good folks at Oak Tree could see it.

• 2 weeks later...
We have not been able to test and debug the widget yet. Do your other widgets work? Mine didn't on the beta version of Leopard.

Okay... Is a fix in the works? Any news on an new release?

We are working on it, hope to release within a week.

Great news! Looking forward to seeing it show up on the website.

I've posted below a possible release candidate for the Leopard-capable AccUpdater widget. The other one is on the way, but if all ye Leopard-savvy folks want to give this a rundown before the official release and let me know of any problems, that would be great!

AccUpdater 2.1.4 Zip download

Worked perfectly for me. OS X v10.5.1. Updated two out-of-date modules.

And it worked great for me too - but did I say I really REALY miss the Scripture insert widget? :P

Just had to say something Joel - thanks for working on it!

It seems to have worked for me.

(I will say, that I've just done a complete drive wipe and clean install of Leopard and Accordance, and now the Updater widget only has one thing, saying LEH-2 needs to be updated from 1.2 2.0 to 1.3!)

Version 1.6 of the Copy Widget crashes the online search functions of OSX Dictionary application.

If you ...

1) Select 'Auto Search' in the Accordance Copy Widget,

2) Copy some text (I'm working in Mellel) into the clipboard,

3) And then use the OSX Dictionary application changing between All, Wikipedia, Dictionary, Thesaurus, etc

4) The result: it will cause the Dictionary app to stop responding and crash.

If you then dis-seelct the AutoSearch in the Copy Widget, the OSX Dictionary works as advertised.

I've tried to follow these steps a few times, and I've thrown in a few other things to mix it up, but I have not been able to crash the dictionary. I am using Pages 3, though, so I wonder if it's related to Mellel. I don't have Mellel to test it out, but do you get this error if you are working in Word, TextEdit, or Pages?

Archived