Searching for punctuation

Rod Decker

Is it possible to search for specific punctuation in a text? E.g. a student was just asking about how Greek texts indicate parenthetical expressions. In John 4:1-3 the UBS editors use dashes for that purpose. I tried a word search for "-" (including the quote marks, and copying the dash from the Accord text), but I get an error message that I can't do that. I also tried it with single quotes. Any ideas?

Simply enter a period followed by the character you want (any letter, accent, punctuation, etc). For example in English .? finds all question marks.

Simply enter a period followed by the character you want (any letter, accent, punctuation, etc). For example in English .? finds all question marks.

Thanks. I had just figured that out. That raises a new question--what about a search for two dashes used together. I used [.- <FOLLOWED BY> .-], but if I try to set the range for sentence or clause, I'm told this search only works within verses. What if a parenthetical statement crosses a verse boundary? (I don't know if any do--that's what I want to find out.) I also tried [.- <WITHIN 50 Words> .-] --and got the same 20 hits in GNT. (I also got the same with 100.) Is that search limiting the results to those which occur only within the same verse, or is it searching across verse boundaries?

Archived