Let's Get Sophisticated

Anon

A fascinating idea. Even if creating the timeline wasn't and option, I love the idea of an editor that would allow more formatting, more sophisticated links, etc. Offering a simple and an xml editing window is a stroke of genius, although I don't think I would be able to envision what you mean if I hadn't seen it at work on wordpress (html in that case, rather than xml). There you can switch back and forth between the two in the same editing session. Very nice.

A fun idea, indeed. Also the first time I've seen a footnoted forum post. Speaking of which, footnotes in User Tools/Notes would be nice, too, although first I like James's idea of user-created fields.

The URL capability in the last update made me wonder if something along these lines could be possible (e.g., linking to specific tools/texts in user notes), but this is several levels beyond what I was thinking, and sounds fantastic!

I've often wondered why all the features of regular tool modules are not available in User Tools and Notes. All the apparatus must already exist. Tagging for user fields - basically user specified indexes is definitely a good idea and raises the searchability of user tools/notes to that of regular tools. Editing in WYSIWYG form or in markup form exists in a number of wiki-page tools. While handy here it wouldn't be necessary for this feature. Of course markup would help for import of tools. In that case it could be done via HTML (which these days is close to a form of XML unless it's XHTML in which case it is such a form). But other options exist too - JSON, markdown, XML, something custom which I wouldn't really recommend.

But overall, agreed it would be good to have this sort of ability.

Thx

D

I wish I can like James' post more than once.

I've recently started a crude workaround for this very issue, tagging the dates I want to remember with #cal so that someday I can manually search for all #cal tags and manually add them to timeline. It's exhausting just thinking about it.

• Like 1

Good point, Ken. I've been using the hashtag, too, as a crude method for replicating a search field for "Topics" in my Sermon Illustrations User Tool.

This would be fabulous to implement for User Notes and User Tools!

Randy