Tagging of τοὐναντίον

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I'm not sure if this is an error, or an intentional choice, so I'm reporting it here rather than through the "Report a Correction" function in Accordance.

I was working in 1 Peter 3 today, and discovered that in verse 9, τοὐναντίον is tagged only for the article, and not also for ἐναντίον.

This is also the case for 2 Cor 2:7; Gal 2:7, the only other two places that τοὐναντίον appears.

As someone whose Greek is quite rusty, I found this immensely frustrating today. I knew the word had to be more than just the article, but my initial attempts to find out what it meant were stymied because 1) the instant details included only the info for the article and 2) The Mounce Dictionary does not include an entry for this word, even though the Mounce New Testament gives a GK number for it. (The latter I have reported through the report function)

I finally realized I could search BDAG for Greek Content and found what I needed, but it would have been so much simpler if the word could have been double tagged to begin with.

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Lorinda,

Both words are fully tagged. It's just that the ID only shows the first tag. (You could make that as a feature request.)

It's just that the inflected form of the second word of the combination is tagged with the inflected form "crasis".

If you search for:

* <AND> [RANGE 1 peter 3.9]

then a resulting analysis will include:

the, who, which = 1

and

ἐναντίον (ἐν, ἀντί) (+gen) before = 1

If you search for:

ἐναντίον

then the hits will include the crasis forms. Also, you can search for a crasis form by searching for the inflected form:

"χρασις". This will also find κἀγὼ and κἀκεῖνα etc.

Next time you have this problem, don't just rely on the ID box for more complex forms. Simply highlight the word(s), and then choose contextual menu Lookup/Parsing or menu item Analysis/Language/Parsing.

Joel:

Thanks for the tips. I haven't used the Parsing feature in so long (years, probably) that it didn't even occur to me as an option. I'll try to remember that another time.

I figured it was related to krasis, although I couldn't even remember the right term when I was stuck today.

I'm off to make a feature request.