Clines' Dictionary of Classical Hebrew

Ploni

I noted that late last year a one volume abridgment of Clines' Classical Hebrew Dictionary was published. I have six volumes of the unabridged and incomplete work which I have found to be extremely useful. The great value of Clines' work is that it is careful in every instance to set words in their syntactical relations. Students who want to know more than just a word's meaning will greatly benefit from this. Also, the glosses given under each entry make it a treasure trove for students who may wish to learn basic definitions. There are no such glosses in HALOT for instance, where the ordering of words is not in terms of frequency of use but in terms of concreteness. In addition one finds statistical analysis of words in DCH which is not the case consistently in HALOT. Another advantage of Clines over HALOT is that every word and phrase in DCH is translated into English. Finally, one should say that the definitions offered in DCH, have a natural English flow, always make sense, and stand in the great tradition of English Bibles and that of BDB (the definitions in BDB and Clines often correspond). The one difficulty for me with such a large work has been finding things in it. Obviously, an electronic edition would be ideal. Is this work likely to available on Accordance in the near future?

I too would like to see this dictionary in Accordance.

We are working on it, shouldn't be long now. Thanks for the endorsement.

Awesome!

• 1 year later...

I note that as of January 2010 you were working on making Clines' DCH available and that it "shouldn't be long now." Now That we are looking back from a year later, I would very much appreciate an update on progress toward making this extremely important resource available to Accordance users.

• 9 months later...

Any news on making the unabridged version available?

• 4 weeks later...

I see the unabridged version is now available. Can you tell me how much disk space it takes?

Thanks

The entire 8 volumes is only about 100 MB, since we can compress text much more effectively that images. It isn't quite ready for release yet, as we are waiting for one more file from the publishers.

• 2 weeks later...

The webpage for this still says "To be released late November 2012". I wondered, it being the last day of November an' all, if there was any update?

Thanks.

We encountered a last minute glitch, an entire section was missing. We now have that file from the publisher and are working as fast as we can to add it in.

We encountered a last minute glitch, an entire section was missing. We now have that file from the publisher and are working as fast as we can to add it in.

Thank you Helen!

• 2 weeks later...

I know I must sound as irritating as a broken record (broken CD or corrupt iPod download, if you're from a later generation). But, any news? The special offer now only has a couple of weeks left to run, and I'm worried I might actually miss the announcement that it's released.

...The special offer now only has a couple of weeks left to run, and I'm worried I might actually miss the announcement that it's released.

My personal experience is that Accordance has been very good about special pricing. Sale items sometimes include soon to be released modules, so if you purchase Clines during the sale period, you have the advantage of the discount and the module will eventually appear in Easy Install once it is ready.

We're reviewing the module with the missing content added back in as I type (or rather I'll get back to it after I type this!). This will serve as a first release, with another update in the works that will include additional hyperlinks that we felt could wait so that we can get this out as soon as possible.

If you purchase it now, we will announce the release and it will appear in your account automatically.

I've made so much noise about this over the last few months, that now it's available I thought I should express my gratitude, and let out a little "wey hey hey!" (I've no idea how to spell this colloquialism).

Almost all references to DSS in the new DCH are not hyperlinked to the scrolls databases.

• Like 1

Actually there are a ton of links, but some are not in the same referencing system that we use in our texts (1QH is common example). So we'd have to look up each one of these or do word searches to find the content. If there's an obvious case we missed you can report it through the app.

We are in the process of adding links for abbreviations, internal entries, and bibliography. These will be released in ver 1.1 in the coming weeks.

We checked those out and the omission of links is intentional. Here's the response from our team:

QUMRAN does not follow the standard ("popular titles") versification, but use the formal cave number versification. That is why we cannot link many of the DSS references in DCH. For example, 4QMMT is comprised of six manuscripts, 4Q394-399. There is no way to know which of the six fragments that a "4QMMT" reference in DCH is referring to, without manually identifying which fragment it occurs in, and then writing a link to that specific fragment, such as 4Q394 f1_2ii:10.

That said, we can work on manually identifying more of these links, but we've hit a point of diminishing return for now and need to release it. We've spent months working on this, which has delayed other promised projects. It's simply time to move on. But, as we've done with BDB, BDAG and other resources, we will continue to improve it over time. For what it's worth it currently has almost 60,000 hyperlinks to DSS, Ben Sira and Inscriptions; 537,000 to the Bible.

I hope this helps to clarify things.

Edited by Rick Bennett

It helps and I prefer to have it as it is than to have waited until you have hyperlinked each and every scroll.