Last session overwritten at launch

Lance

This may not be a bug, but it sure took me by surprise. Yesterday I was working on a project with various spaces open, including a search-all, an English text, and a Hebrew text. My startup setting is "last session".

I've just launched the app for the first time today, and yesterday's session data is all gone. In it's place is a single workspace with just my default English text (NIV11), and no other spaces etc.

I'm sure that wasn't how it used to function … Am I missing something?

The Startup session occasionally gets corrupt and prevents Accordance from opening. Users would then contact us and be asked to try removing that file from the user Preferences. We have now coded Accordance to detect and remove the startup if it cannot open it. It may be that this is what happened to you.

If your current work is important, you may want to save it separately as a session.

I see, thanks Helen. So if I'm understanding you correctly, this is one of those random blips that strikes occasionally, and there's no foolproof way of preventing it (other than manually saving important work)? Correct?

Hey Lance,

I think it's a good habit (and in my case, a very practical one) to create various workspaces and save them for the different study needs we have. Although I have never encountered the problem you mention, my policy still is to occasionally hit the save button and 'over write' my workspaces to update them with the new data. Should the 'start up' file ever get corrupted (and sometimes it contains up to three workspaces at once), my latest 'save' of each workspace would never be too far off from my current work. Just a thought I hope will help.

Mark

Edited by Mark Nigro
  • Like 1

Hi again Helen & all,

I think there's still an issue to explore here. It's perhaps also related to another post of mine recently.

Yesterday I saved (and re-saved a few times too) a session similar to the one I described in the opening paragraph of my original post on this topic. This time the app has behaved normally after an overnight shutdown - ie. launching Accordance today has displayed the session current at the time of quitting yesterday. (Which is the same as the one I'd saved.) However it's missing the data from my search-all which was part of the session. So as described in the other post I just linked to, the search criteria (a verse reference) is still in the search field, but the two columns below where the results should be are empty.

Again per the other post, that's a problem in that whilst I can re-run the search easily enough, that won't bring me back to the point I was up to in perusing the search results. So I guess its academic whether one calls this a bug report or a feature request. But either way, it does seem to me that there's some functionality missing here.

Thanks, Helen. I can appreciate the practical wisdom of that. However, I submit that it does pose a significant limitation where one is working with a large search. One would have to complete perusal of the search in one sitting, or else leave Accordance running for as long as it takes to compete the task. This is in no way a complaint - just by way of raising a practicality. Perhaps there could be added a user-configurabe option to remember search results (including last selected item) when saving a session or quitting the app?