Psalm 13:6 not appearing in parallel with Hebrew

Abram K-J

There's a larger versification issue here with the passage, I know, but in the attached screenshot, why can I see Psalm 13:6 when the NIV-1984 is open by itself, but not when it's a parallel pane with the Hebrew text? Is there a way to fix this?

I noticed this in another Psalm the other day, too (maybe Psalm 22? don't remember now)--also due, I assume, to an English/Hebrew versification issue.

post-31802-0-85560400-1408138762_thumb.png

You don't show the Hebrew 14:1. If you look at it you will see that the verse title is combined with the first verse of content, so all the content is there when the Hebrew text is the search text. The problem is that in English a verse 0 is added and the title is split off. This will only show up when the English is the search text.

There are many other places where users report that text is missing. The answer is always to make the text in which text seems to be missing, the search text. Then you can see if verses are really missing, or whether the other text actually has it combined with another verse, or is omitting it, or has renumbered it.

You don't show the Hebrew 14:1. If you look at it you will see that the verse title is combined with the first verse of content, so all the content is there when the Hebrew text is the search text. The problem is that in English a verse 0 is added and the title is split off. This will only show up when the English is the search text.

There are many other places where users report that text is missing. The answer is always to make the text in which text seems to be missing, the search text. Then you can see if verses are really missing, or whether the other text actually has it combined with another verse, or is omitting it, or has renumbered it.

Good point--so in the above scenario, I miss both Psalm 13:6 and "14:0" (the inscription) in the English NIV. This becomes even more acute when I am scrolling through the Hebrew Text on my iPad and my only second pane has the NIV, but only up through 13:5 (where the NIV goes through verse 6), and also omitting the title to Psalm 14.

I understand about changing the search text--that does make all the NIV verses show, but it seems like a reasonable workflow expectation to be able start from the Hebrew and also be able to view the English in parallel with all that the English version has.

I thought Accordance already knew how to handle versification differences? This seems to be set up nicely with the LXX, for example, where versification differs, either from the Hebrew text or between LXX versions.

I'm guessing you'll say it's a challenge for programming (or it would have probably been done already), but is there a way a future update could make an adjustment in the case of "missing verses"?

The issue here, Abram, isn't a matter of odd or out of order versification. Accordance (as you noted) can easily handle that even with the extremely complicted LXX or Pseudepigrapha. The problem is simply, Accordance doesn't know that you want those verses! You said give me the verses of Psalm 13 in the BHS, and then show their parallels in the NIV11. Since Psalm 13:6 doesn't exist in the BHS, you didn't ask Accordance to display it, so it didn't.

I recognize that this may seem unintuitive at first glance, but when you think about it, there always must be a standard for whose version of "Psalm 13" you want to display. I hope this explains a bit why it works the way it works! The good news is that we have some plans to make this better, though as usual I'll be quite vague as to anything more than that :)

Thanks, Joel--this is a really helpful explanation. Makes sense.

I think I was expecting to see Psalm 13:6 in English not necessarily from the search, but from scrolling through, but based on what you said, its appearance would have to be some kind of magic.

Glad to hear about whatever plans for improvement/mind-reading that are coming in the future! :)