How to Display Hebrew Verbs in a Different Color as you Read

Darin Allen

A question was asked on Twitter about the possibility of having a Hebrew text display verbs in different colors than the rest of the text. A search for all verbs is the best way to do this:

1) Make sure your Search Text is set to a grammatically tagged Hebrew text, like the BHS-W4.

2) Make sure you are set up to search for "Words" instead of "Verses" in the top-left corner of the window.

3) From the top menu, choose Search < Enter Tag < Verb...

4) Don't select anything from the drop down boxes, just click "OK" right away. This will set up a search that will find all the verbs in the Hebrew Bible

5) Run the Search

http://accordancefiles1.com/images/Twitter/Hebrew%20Verb.jpg

By default, all your search results will show up in red. Since all verses should have at least one verb in them, you should be able to read everything in context without any additional work. Feel free to add a parallel English Bible if you like.

Edited by Darin Allen
  • Like 1

Neat tip, Darin, thanks!

You can also go an extra step and create a Highlight style for verbs and highlight them all. This remains there as long as highlighting isn't hidden. We once tried to create a Highlight file with all the parts of speech highlighted in different styles in the text, but it got too slow back then. It certainly can be done for a smaller section like a book. You will need to consult the Help files to learn how to do this.

A question was asked on Twitter about the possibility of having a Hebrew text display verbs in different colors than the rest of the text. A search for all verbs is the best way to do this:

1) Make sure your Search Text is set to a grammatically tagged Hebrew text, like the BHS-W4.

2) Make sure you are set up to search for "Words" instead of "Verses" in the top-left corner of the window.

3) From the top menu, choose Search < Enter Tag < Verb...

4) Don't select anything from the drop down boxes, just click "OK" right away. This will set up a search that will find all the verbs in the Hebrew Bible

5) Run the Search

http://accordancefiles1.com/images/Twitter/Hebrew%20Verb.jpg

By default, all your search results will show up in red. Since all verses should have at least one verb in them, you should be able to read everything in context without any additional work. Feel free to add a parallel English Bible if you like.

Darin,

Thanks for that tip..any idea how to display the Hebrew text (BHs-W4)without the cantilation marks? I have checked all the preferences..

Thanks

Frank

Darin,

Thanks for that tip..any idea how to display the Hebrew text (BHs-W4)without the cantilation marks? I have checked all the preferences..

Hi Frank,

I believe removing the cantillation marks is only possible when exporting Hebrew text.

Hi Frank,

I believe removing the cantillation marks is only possible when exporting Hebrew text.

Darin,

I was afraid of that....I a beginner at Hebrew and the cantillation marks are a distraction...

Thanks for replying...

Frank

You can export without the cantillation marks, as Darin pointed out above, and you can also export without the vowel points, thus creating an consonantal text—which is apropos for a beginning student. It's hard work at first, but I like to make a pdf of my current book of study (right now Lamentations) and read a consonantal text with a audio file that I acquired from Academy of Ancient Languages. The iPad works great for this.

Edited by James Tucker

• 1 year later...

You can also go an extra step and create a Highlight style for verbs and highlight them all. This remains there as long as highlighting isn't hidden. We once tried to create a Highlight file with all the parts of speech highlighted in different styles in the text, but it got too slow back then. It certainly can be done for a smaller section like a book. You will need to consult the Help files to learn how to do this.

In the accordance 10 help you find it under:

Digging Deeper > Color Highlighting > Highlighting Words and Verses > Highlight Hit Words

I use it to highlight words that are not in my learning list (that occur 1-9 times) and words that have forms I'm not familiar with yet.