Carson and Dillard

Helen Brown

Save $15 each on these two standard introductions to the NT and the OT, now available for the first time as individual purchases in Accordance.

Introduction to the New Testament (Carson & Moo) and Introduction to the Old Testament (Dillard & Longman) were included in an old Zondervan package which is no longer available. Now they are available for Easy Install at special introductory prices good only through March 15th.

Carson et al.-NT Intro is only $34.99

Dillard et al.-OT Intro is only $29.99

These prices cannot be combined with other discounts.

Since that Zondervan CD is no longer being sold, will the other works be available as individual purchases? I'm looking specifically for Mounce's Morphology of Biblical Greek and Vanhoozer's Is There a Meaning in This Text?

I have the Zondervan CD's.

Yesterday I was asked when updating if I wanted to upgrade the NT Intro from 1.0.

Today, this screen does not show up, instead the same for a Dict. of Cults.

Are these works (NT and OT Intro, Dict. of Cults etc) also updated versions? If so, why do I need to pay for them?

Hans

Edited by HansK

Bob: yes we'll be releasing most of the titles in the near future.

Hans: You do not need to pay for any of these upgrades, but the unusual names may be causing some problems to Check for Updates. Please be patient as we sort them out.

There should be 5 free upgrades (minor ones) to Zondervan Scholarly modules, and I believe we have tracked down and fixed the problems with Check for Updates.

Sorry Helen, the Dict. of Cults is not updated. It still shows as a paid update.

Yes, I am looking into it. This one was on the Zondervan Personal Growth, not the Scholarly.

I'm very pleased to see Carson and Dillard once again. I have hopes we'll be adding other intros to our selection of resources. I'd love to see freshman students start out their academic study of the Bible with Accordance. I think it would be incredible if they could purchase all their college Bible study textbooks and resources on our platform. Imagine what kind of library they'd graduate with! :-)

• Like 1

The Dictionary of Cults upgrade should now download as a free upgrade.

Helen, thank you!

I'm very pleased to see Carson and Dillard once again. I have hopes we'll be adding other intros to our selection of resources. I'd love to see freshman students start out their academic study of the Bible with Accordance. I think it would be incredible if they could purchase all their college Bible study textbooks and resources on our platform. Imagine what kind of library they'd graduate with! :-)

Mr. Jenny,

Being a religion student and future seminary student at Liberty University I fully concur with your thoughts. I would have loved to have the tools I have now when I started my BS degree in religion. It would have saved me an enormous amount of time. Also, I am looking forward to using the old language tools when studying in seminary. I would love to have seen more of the text books we used in my BS as well. Working with a university would undoubtedly boost Accordances sales, support, and testimony. Even though text books such as "Theology for Today," Elmer Towns, would have been extremely beneficial in my studies, it seems that using individual commentaries helped out the most. The first two books on this list were textbooks for me I would have loved to see in Accordance.

http://www.amazon.co...ology+for+today

The commentaries I used are mostly all covered in your commentary products list, with exception of a couple series.

http://www.amazon.co...a+pagina+series

http://www.amazon.co...ical+commentary

One textbook that was covered by Accordance was "How To Read The Bible For All Its Worth". That was a pleasant surprise. In all, I do think that working with colleges, supplementing some of their religious studies texts in Accordance, would be a win-win for college students, Accordance, and possibly the schools. Great post Mr. Jenney.

Edited by Vandymarc

Hey, thanks!

I am also pleased we've secured Fee's three-volume "How Tos" in Accordance. I'm using them as I put together our upcoming course in Bible Study Methods (It helps that I don't have to re-invent the wheel.)

As an increasing number of academic institutions adopt Accordance, I expect that we'll be adding a lot of the books they currently use a textbooks. Neither your choice of Towns Theology for Today nor Baker's Exegetical Commentary Series surprised me, but I was a bit taken aback by your request for Sacra Pagina. It's a Catholic commentary I would not have associated with Liberty University. [That said, I use Raymond Brown's Introduction to the New Testament as a textbook for the NT intro class I am teaching at Regent University's School of Divinity. ;-)]

BTW, I know we are working with Baker to secure some new titles, but I don't know which ones are on the list.

Blessings,

Dr. J

Hey, thanks!

I am also pleased we've secured Fee's three-volume "How Tos" in Accordance. I'm using them as I put together our upcoming course in Bible Study Methods (It helps that I don't have to re-invent the wheel.)

As an increasing number of academic institutions adopt Accordance, I expect that we'll be adding a lot of the books they currently use a textbooks. Neither your choice of Towns Theology for Today nor Baker's Exegetical Commentary Series surprised me, but I was a bit taken aback by your request for Sacra Pagina. It's a Catholic commentary I would not have associated with Liberty University. [That said, I use Raymond Brown's Introduction to the New Testament as a textbook for the NT intro class I am teaching at Regent University's School of Divinity. ;-)]

BTW, I know we are working with Baker to secure some new titles, but I don't know which ones are on the list.

Blessings,

Dr. J

Mr. Jenney,

Yes, those three books can be very useful on every level. Your notice of Sacra Pagina... It is well established that the Catholic faith has been very thorough on the origins of Christianity and the early church, that can be certain. You will notice that there are a few Sacra Pagina commentaries that would be very helpful to the evangelical's as well. In fact, in "How To Read The Bible For All Its Worth," Sacra Pagina's "Acts" & "Luke" is recommended by evangelical Fee and Stuart. In Duvall and Hays evangelical book "Grasping God's Word," these two books are also listed in their full Building A Personal Library section in the back of the book. This book has been very helpful when crossed with the previous mentioned Fee & Stuart book while building my own personal library. It would go unnoticed if I did not say, Liberty strives to find the best informative texts available when designing classes, this I have noticed. It seems they aren't as partial as I might have imagined as well. If for chance they use internal texts, they always will be sure to note outside sources for reference and help. ;) I'm sure regent does that as well. I have been very pleased with the texts I've referenced. Sacra Pagina was a bit of a tumultuous decision when getting commentaries for Acts class, but I have been very pleased. Thanks for the reply...I am very happy that Baker has joined the fun. Living in Grand Rapids, we have their resources all over the place. :blink:

Edited by Vandymarc

Sacra Pagina is a solid commentary. I have requested it in another thread.

Thank you both.

I have been really pleased with Accordance's commitment to support those who study the Bible, whatever their denominational or theological preferences. Now that we have what I would consider the "core" tools for serious Bible study, we are trying to add more of those treasured by particular groups. For instance, we are adding a group of Pentecostal/charismatic resources (We'll be making an official announcement of which resources in the very near future.).

Suggestions like yours help us to prioritize which resources to add first. That said, our development resources are not unlimited—and not all publishers are equally willing to see their resources in electronic form (and those that are often move slowly!). Could I respectfully suggest that you, our users, let these publishers know you'd like to see their works on the Accordance platform? Publishers are sensitive to their readers' requests, more so than they may be to ours.

Again, thanks so much!

Dr. J

Yep, I'm just happy Accordance has Baker now. There are a lot of good in depth resources from that publisher. The authors of the two intro books listed above you cannot go wrong with either. Carson is great as an author and speaker. I am looking forward in securing Intro to NT and OT books in the future. Thanks for having these available in easy load...

I have previously requested Anchor Yale Bible (on several occasions). The Intro to NT by Brown that Dr. Jenney referenced would be great in Accordance, but prior to that I would like to seen Brown's Anchor commentaries on John, the Johannine letter; Fitzmyer's Anchor commentaries on Luke, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians.

I second Michael's request.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see Baker Exegetical Commentary on the Accordance platform!

• 4 weeks later...

I also second Michael's request.

José Cordeiro Morgado

• Like 1

Dr. J

Is it possible to make Raymond Brown's Introduction to the New Testament available in Accordance?

I have requested it and asked our VP of Rights and Permissions to check on securing it. I think we'd be very willing to do it, if we can get the publisher's permission. I'll check to see where we're at in the process, but remember such things take time.

• 2 weeks later...