Interlinears

Fr. Rusty

I know this has probably been covered somewhere, but did not find it, thus my questions:

Why is it we do not have Interlinears in Accordance?

Will we ever have them in Accordance?

I find them very helpful, I am used to having them and, Gramcords Parsings , which I found helpful.

I can find most things I need with Accordance, yet "parsings" is difficult for me so far with this platform.

For me, being able to see the sentence structure in each language and being able to get parsing info with a "click" was helpful.

I like to see whole sentences when working in word studies, I am just "one of those guys" that like to see things in context, be it words , sentences , paragraphs , chapters or books.

Just a context nut I suppose, at any rate, the Interlinear's I have worked with in the past have been very helpful as I had the English on one line and the Greek or Hebrew right below it and all were "linked-connected" with the Parsing info as well.

Any info and, suggestions, will be appreciated.

Thanks and blessings,

Rusty+

Ok, figured it out, so never mind the how.

After the transition to 9 is absorbed, I would still like to know if we will be getting regular Interlinears at some point.

Thanks,

R+

I can understand your desire to have interlinears for your study, but let me suggest that interlinears prohibit genuine engagement with the text. Such a "codified" approach to any language truncates the learning process, especially insofar as idioms are concerned and even how syntax will pragmatically affect a given lexical entity. With Accordance's new syntax charts, I would suggest that you move to reading the ancient languages as a natural language, not through a codified, formal apparatus. It will require some work on your behalf, but you will, over time, see your ability to grapple with the text raise to another level. The syntax charts will provide aid in understanding your syntax of either greek or hebrew, allowing you read from Syntax. Moreover, the instant details box can serve as a readers aid, for infrequent vocabulary, etc.

I think, and hope, that the iPad will serve to be a great E-Reader for the above purposes.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Dear James: Thank you for your insights.

Went to your website, spent too much time there for this evening-smile.

Interested in your work on Clement.

Will contact Helen next week, seems what I need to do is move up in my collection and add some other resources.

My "other" software programs have a great many resources, alas, most I do not use or have need of, and, they are very slow.

Run one of them under emulation, just hate that.

Do not want to violate forum guidelines here, may contact you through your site.

Thanks again.

Grace and Peace,

Rusty+

Dear James: Thank you for your insights.

Went to your website, spent too much time there for this evening-smile.

Interested in your work on Clement.

Will contact Helen next week, seems what I need to do is move up in my collection and add some other resources.

My "other" software programs have a great many resources, alas, most I do not use or have need of, and, they are very slow.

Run one of them under emulation, just hate that.

No problem, Rusty. You are more than welcome to contact me on my site for any discussions on Clement.

One advantage I find in the Accordance structure is the ability to add specific modules to your library. There are some very intriguing sets, but most of the time the modules within these sets are offered individually. Thus, if you wanted to accelerate in your reading abilities, I would start to compile a list of grammars and lexicons to add to your library. I'm sure the Accordance folk would be glad to you assist you in deciding on some invaluable tools for your library.

Shalom!

It's not an inter-linear, Fr. Rusty, but if you don't have an English translation tagged with Strong's numbers, you might like getting one of them. They're available in the KJV, NAS, ESV, NRSV and others. When you mouse over a word in the English text with the Greek or Hebrew up in a pane alongside it, you see the relevant Greek or Hebrew word highlighted. You can also do it the other way around: mouse over the Greek text word by word, and see which word is highlighted in the English.

Do a search for "Strong's Numbers" on the Accordance web site to see the options. If you already own a translation and want to get the same one tagged with Strong's, there is a price break.

-Mary

Thank you Prof. Shore:

I have most of the tagged texts, found the parsing tool, little different than I am used to using, perhaps this is a good thing.

The Inter-Linear just gave me such a good "picture" of the text as a whole, I think part of that is just from years of usage, "comfort zone" type of thing.

Probably good to change it up.

I change out my teaching Bible each year as one tends to look at their old notes when re-studying a book/passage, thus risks not "thinking" but just regurgitating the same things, hurts growth in my opinion.

Thus, changing software and having to learn to do some things quite differently should be a good thing overall.

Same with my Prayerbooks, if things get stale or in a rut, I will change to the 28 Bcp or the Roman Liturgy of the Hours, it never ceases to amaze me how much some simple changes, can affect so deeply.

Really hopeful that Accordance is going to open up some opportunities for me, a fresh wind , if you will.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Grace and Peace,

Rusty+

I find that the interlinear presentation hinders appreciation for the original syntax, and so ends up in practice a crutch--hopefully a plainer way of saying what James said earlier!

I find Accordance's instant highlighting and instant details preferable since they don't visually mash together two very different syntaxes.

I find that the interlinear presentation hinders appreciation for the original syntax, and so ends up in practice a crutch--hopefully a plainer way of saying what James said earlier!

I find Accordance's instant highlighting and instant details preferable since they don't visually mash together two very different syntaxes.

Not sure I completely understand your position there as far as "mashing different syntaxes", but do tend to agree with the need to better understand the original languages.

I thought the study and application of syntax in ancient language was still based on certain theories/disciplines that do not always agree.

I can and do see that one can be swayed to certain leanings depending on the translation and how it is presented inter-linearly, is this the situation you are speaking to as far as "mashing".

Pray my questions are not out of line with Forum guidelines.

They are important for me as far as my needs in upgrading and future studies.

Again, thanks for the time and effort in helping.

Blessings of good health to all,

Rusty+

I know this has probably been covered somewhere, but did not find it, thus my questions:

Why is it we do not have Interlinears in Accordance?

Will we ever have them in Accordance?

I find them very helpful, I am used to having them and, Gramcords Parsings , which I found helpful.

I can find most things I need with Accordance, yet "parsings" is difficult for me so far with this platform.

For me, being able to see the sentence structure in each language and being able to get parsing info with a "click" was helpful.

I like to see whole sentences when working in word studies, I am just "one of those guys" that like to see things in context, be it words , sentences , paragraphs , chapters or books.

Just a context nut I suppose, at any rate, the Interlinear's I have worked with in the past have been very helpful as I had the English on one line and the Greek or Hebrew right below it and all were "linked-connected" with the Parsing info as well.

Any info and, suggestions, will be appreciated.

Thanks and blessings,

Rusty+

Our Key Number texts (ESVS, NRSVS, HCSBS, NKJVS, KJVS, JPSS) are our equivalent to interlinears. If you combine them with a tagged original language text (GNT-T / BHS-W4) you have a combination that is, in my opinion, superior to an interlinear.

Take a look at this example:

post-5629-12855989483_thumb.png

Instead of having multiple lines of text in an interlinear you have an easy to read English text with the ability to give you deeper information on the fly. Hovering over 'genealogy' gives me instant details on this word including the key number, Greek word, transliteration (not enabled in my screen cap), and a definition. Further, the underlying Greek word is highlighted in the GNT-T. With this approach you can read the text naturally, and work through the text however you want (sentence, word, etc.).

Combine this with a tool like 'GNT Key' (The New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament) or the WBC-NT and get even more info about the underlying text.

Does this help bridge the interlinear gap for you? Is there any significant feature of an interlinear missing in this approach?

HTH…

Our Key Number texts (ESVS, NRSVS, HCSBS, NKJVS, KJVS, JPSS) are our equivalent to interlinears. If you combine them with a tagged original language text (GNT-T / BHS-W4) you have a combination that is, in my opinion, superior to an interlinear.

Take a look at this example:

post-5629-12855989483_thumb.png

Instead of having multiple lines of text in an interlinear you have an easy to read English text with the ability to give you deeper information on the fly. Hovering over 'genealogy' gives me instant details on this word including the key number, Greek word, transliteration (not enabled in my screen cap), and a definition. Further, the underlying Greek word is highlighted in the GNT-T. With this approach you can read the text naturally, and work through the text however you want (sentence, word, etc.).

Combine this with a tool like 'GNT Key' (The New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament) or the WBC-NT and get even more info about the underlying text.

Does this help bridge the interlinear gap for you? Is there any significant feature of an interlinear missing in this approach?

HTH

Dear Rick: I am impressed, did not expect to hear from you-smile.

Thanks, really.

Yes, questions answered and, "I get it now".

Your screen shot did the trick, better understand what some others were saying. I can see ( from the screenshot ) where the Interlinear's were actually a poor crutch in comparison. Picture worth a thousand words.

I'm old and slow, but do catch on-smile.

The main thing answered for me is "what I need to do next" as far as purchase, something I have been researching for several months now.

So, sticking with and upgrading Accordance.

I am a "newby" of sorts to Accordance , been working with it a few months while researching what I want/need to use on the Mac platform.

The help has been excellent, from everyone.

If I am looking at things correctly, Scholars Premier and a few additions should move me up to where I need to be.

Thanks again, to everyone , Please forgive me being a bit of a pain.

Grace and Peace to all,

Rusty+

Happy to help. You're not being a pain at all.

Don't let the Greek (or Hebrew/Aramaic/Syriac) geeks scare you away from the Key Number / interlinear-ish resources. While learning the languages is best, there are definitely benefits to these tools

My sincere apologies if I fostered any timidity in you, Rusty, by my recommendations. I concur with Rick, that the Strongs tagged texts are very useful. I have even taught my mother how to make the tagged texts work for her.

My sincere apologies if I fostered any timidity in you, Rusty, by my recommendations. I concur with Rick, that the Strongs tagged texts are very useful. I have even taught my mother how to make the tagged texts work for her.

Dear Rick: Thanks and, Good article btw.

James, not at all.

As I said, I found your thoughts most interesting, your site as well.

I do study words, a great deal, but my life work is the study of/and helping of people and how they interact life around them, for the most part, damaged, hurting people.

Thus, I need to be able to work ( study ) efficiently for Sermon and Teaching prep..

I spend a lot of time praying and,, thinking. ( Something we seem to be losing in our society ).

No, you did not throw me off, everyone "speaks from somewhere" , you speak from the discipline of languages, a Canon would speak from Ecclesiology , everyone speaks from somewhere, it's what we do.

As I said, as soon as I can carve out some time, Lord Willing , I intend to be in touch .

Again, thanks to you all.

Grace and Peace,

Rusty+

Dear Rusty,

This is not about the topic itself but just something you (and anybody else) might be interested in regarding your mention of "The Roman Liturgy of the Hours"(now generally called The Liturgy of the Hours, The Divine Office or The Prayer of the Church). You might want to take a look at Universalis.com The 'creator' of Universalis has done an excellent job in providing us with the RC Office and the Mass Readings for each day on the Internet. I think you can still download a trial version for free.

May I now make a little request, first to myself and then to any one else who may read this? There is a great spirit on this Forum which is a real blessing especially considering we all come from different 'backgrounds'. As we continue to read, pray, study, teach, the Bible, may we all hold each other in prayer? If I may say so, I sense the 'Team' might especially appreciate a little prayer at the moment. (Personally speaking, I would appreciate one at any time!) Hope this doesn't appear to be too pious in the wrong way!

May we all be blessed,

Kevin.

Father Rusty, I thought of something else on this interlinear question. If you have Young's Literal Translation as one of your Bibles, it can almost function as an interlinear text. It is so wooden as a translation that I don't recommend its use for anything except figuring out what is going on in Greek (it may work the same way in Hebrew

When printing, Accordance also has a feature to print multiple text panes interleaved. Select [File: Print Settings

Dear All: You folks really are incredible.

The time you take to be helpful is greatly appreciated.

Let me try to catch up ;

Kevin: Thank you, and I could not agree more on Praying for the entire Accordance staff.

Prayers for you as well, Prayers Ascending!

Yes, Universalis is an incredibly handy site, well worth the bookmark, I have spent many hours there over the years, the downloads are helpful.

As I have now made my decision concerning my primary platform for the future, I will , as others do, post my requests for future resources, thus my comments about the Prayerbooks of the whole Church.

I will certainly try to influence Accordance to take on many new resources.-smile

Imagine the wonder of being able to search through the Prayers of the Church, to see how they have come from, and through, the Scriptures over time and demographics.

To be in study, doing a search on a word or phrase and be able to also see how that word or phrase has been used in prayer for a couple thousand years, by different people in different times, situations, would be incredible.

To my knowledge, no one has attempted this in software with the capabilities of Accordance. ( If at all ).

As people pray, so they belive, as people believe, so they pray.

Thus there is an incredible amount of Biblical knowledge to be gained in seeing how people used the Scriptures in prayer over different time periods, this certainly can bear weight/fruit in our studies.

Again, thank you and know you will be in my Prayers.

Sean: Thank you as well, I am going to copy and paste your instructions to keep and try.

Prof. Shore: Thanks for the idea that Sean helped with.

Yes, word studies are very important to me, started with the ole Strongs- (smile to Rick ), then went right off to the TDNT, Still have them, still use them ( yes, dated, some interesting mistakes, but still good).

I fell in love with them and, through them, the field of Etymology.

I find the Etymology of words/language to be truly fascinating and helpful.

( I really feel for the poor souls that will study the Etymology of todays American English 100 years from now! )

I wish I had some way to encourage your students to study well, use what they learn and keep it, grow it.

As a

When printing, Accordance also has a feature to print multiple text panes interleaved. Select [File: Print Settings

If you choose interleaved they will print verse by verse, but not line by line.

Recommendations on best "tagged" Greek and Hebrew texts and English comparison tagged texts?

Trying to save the staff from spending time on the phone.

Thanks,

Rusty+

Recommendations on best "tagged" Greek and Hebrew texts and English comparison tagged texts?

Trying to save the staff from spending time on the phone.

Thanks,

Rusty+

You'll certainly want the BHS-W4 (http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=BHS-W4) and GNT-T (http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=GNT-T) tagged original language texts. Perhaps the best way to get these resources is by purchasing the Scholar's Intro package. It costs only $149, includes the upgrade to version 9 (you'll get a discount if you've already upgraded), and includes both BHS-W4 and GNT-T along with other resources. If you purchase these two texts separately, it will cost you $110, but you won't get the upgrade to version 9 for that amount.

As for tagged English texts, I suggest purchasing whichever tagged translation you would most frequently use. Accordance offers KJV, ESV, NASB, NRSV, and maybe even one or two others. Because the Scholar's Intro package includes one free $30 Bible, you could use the free unlock to purchase the text you want and then pay the difference to upgrade to the tagging.

Hope this helps!

Let me add to Sean's excellent counsel.

Interlinears were great tools, when no one had electronic software. Now, they are just sort of passé.

Accordance offers the most complete collection of tagged English texts in the world, but we do not offer an "interlinear." Accordance users can access any number of these key number tagged texts and place them in parallel. Add a tagged original language text in parallel and you can cursor over any word and see its equivalent instantly. Place the cursor over the Gk/Heb word and it highlights the translation in every key number text simultaneously. Not only is this more dynamic, but we believe this is much more useful. Users can customize their setup to reflect any translation they want—or multiple translations at once!

It's a wonderful blend of cutting edge technology and ancient texts.

In addition to the tagged English Bibles Sean listed, Accordance also sells the following key-number tagged Bibles:

NKJVS [New King James with Strongs Numbers]

JPSS [Jewish Publication Society's Tanakh with Strongs; Hebrew Bible only, obviously]

HCSBS [Holman Christian Standard Bible with Strongs]

NIV-G/K [NIV with Goodrick-Kohlenberger numbers]

The G/K numbers is a different system, but the same concept. The NIV-G/K is only available with the $69 Zondervan Essential Bible Study Suite for Macintosh

Archived