iOS Workflow and Limitations

CarlosC

I am considering my next purchase - either an iPad (3) or Macbook Air 11". I currently use Accordance on a 15" Macbook Pro and occasionally on my iPhone 4S. My goal is to be more mobile as a pastor and yet still be able to do 80-90% of what I need to do on this new, smaller divice. I'd still have the 15" Macbook Pro but would leave it at home most days.

My question is, how much serious work (sermon prep, etc.) can be done with Accordance on an iPad? What do you give up when primarily working with the iOS vs. mac version of Accordance?

Thanks,

Carlos

Among the things not (yet) implemented in the iOS version of Accordance:

-Zones

-Tabs

-"Copy As" options (Copy as References, Copy as Citation, etc.)

-The ability to copy a selection. (You can copy a whole verse, or one word at a time, but not a selection)

-The ability to edit User Tools (User Tools are Read-only on iOS)

-Details Graphs and Tables

-Atlas

-Timeline

If those are central to your study/sermon prep, and you want to do them "on the go," the MacBook Air might be the better option.

My advice having both an iPad and a MacBook Air (11") is go for the MacBook Air. Hands down, it is the best computer I have ever owned. I think you will find that clunky 15" MacBook will begin to gather dust. The Air is my only computer (other than an iOS device). If you find the screen cramped for some things, get a 23" or so monitor and hook up to the Air . That is what I do. However, I probably do 3/4 of my computing using the Air by itself. The 11" screen is sharp, clear and a perfect size. Let my qualify that by saying I do not have "young eyes" either. I tried a 13" Air at the Apple store and it just seemed too big. The 11" Air is the perfect size. Get the Air! You will not regret it.

• Like 1

I agree with Greg. I have both, but the power of Accordance in Lion is still much greater than iOS. Air 11inch is the best computer I have ever used.

Shalom,

Michael

I think no matter how great the iOS becomes with its development, it will always be limited compared to Accordance for OSX and future full-fledged OS versions. iOS is intended to supplement, but cannot substitute, our Macs. I have an iPad and MBP 15 inch. If I were to do things again, I might go with the Air, although the iPad does get a lot of use and perhaps the fact that its form factor is a tablet allows me to use it in places and in ways that even a tiny laptop like the Air 11 inch wouldn't be ideal. For example, in the pulpit, or standing in line at a train station etc. It's be awkward to hold a laptop in that way, and in the pulpit my device needs to lay flat. Nevertheless, the questions I'd ask in your case are not so much what you can and can't do with Accordance for iOS as opposed to OSX, but rather what is your workflow as a pastor, and can you use iOS to meet those needs. I am able to do just about all of my primary study functions on the iPad, but it's not my preferred device. And my study approach on the iPad is mostly content driven so I'm reading and searching texts, but not much else. I don't approach the iPad with expectations of doing diagramming, parsing or even complex original language searches, although I could accomplish the latter and the former may one day be added. Admittedly, the iPad to me is also cumbersome in the area of data entry, no matter what the application, so the workflow slows down when switching between apps or certain functions in Accordance for iOS. This is where the Air would be much more superior. Still, I'm just thrilled to have my Accordance library with me wherever I go :)

• Like 1

Thanks Mark for the thread and all of you for the great information.

Mark, you made some points that definitely peg the iPad as an "in-between" device; Its portability being a strength and iOS (in some cases) being its weakness. I love having my Accordance library with me on the iPad but other than devotional reading, Accordance on iOS doesn't get much attention. It is my preferred Bible app and the Accordance team has done a great job on it, but it (along with any other Bible app) lacks function and is a bit tedious for in-depth study. This may change as Accordance continues to add improvements.

As for the data entry challenges on the iPad - Do you use a third-party keyboard? I recently purchased the Zagg Folio for my iPad and it increased the utility of my iPad tremendously. I find myself taking the iPad with me more often now that typing is not such a chore. The typing experience is great and the weight and footprint of the folio are acceptable to my standards. Another nice thing about the keyboard is that it helps alleviate some of the cumbersome aspects of switching apps. There are dedicated shortcut keys for the Home and Search button. You can also use these keys to access your recent and active apps, making switching much easier. Also, the new gestures for iPad have made switching apps much faster with the four-finger swipe.

For those of you who prefer the Air I have some questions.

I like the portability and aesthetics of the Air, however, the solid state drives are small and expensive to upgrade. Do you travel with an external HDD?

How often do you find yourself in need of an optical drive? Do you travel with one?

Has the limitation of one USB port been a problem?

I personally need my HDD space and still use an optical drive quite often. With these limitations the Air would itself become an "in-between" device for me.

How do you meet these challenges?

Thanks!

I seldom use an optical drive, so it has not been an option for me. Also the SSD is fast and adequate for me. It has two USB ports, and that two suffices. For me it has been fabulous, but if you need more peripherals (USB) or more HD space or access to CD/DVD, the Air might not work for you. Mark is correct, it depends on your needs and workflow. For me the power of the Air is great and better than the iPad 2. The iOS is not as powerful as the Mac OS.

I rarely use an optical drive and have found the need actually lessened with the Air. I did use DVDs I burnt for my Sunday School class but that is negated a lot by being able to take the Air with me.

My 11" Air has 2 USB ports not one. When I use it with my desktop monitor, I attach a powered USB hub for the necessary peripherals. No problems with ports at all.

As for the on-board storage, I have the 128GB model and have not found it to be a problem. I currently have about 40GB free. I don't keep my music or picture library on my Air. Those items are kept in cloud storage such as Dropbox, iCloud, etc. or mostly on the 2TB hard drive on my personal network. I have about 9GB in applications, not counting data files such as Accordance modules - those likely require most of the space on my Air.

If you require tons of large files (such as music or pictures) then you may want an external drive. I think it requires a bit of a different way of thinking with an Air. I don't have everything I own on it. Just the items I use and am working on. Any other items can be accessed from cloud storage or if necessary an external drive.

For me the iPad is not ready for serious work yet. The apps and keyboard are not quite up to the best of usability standards. The iPad is fine for surfing the web and checking email. The Air, however, can handle anything thrown at it.

If you want a desktop type computer in an extremely small, light and very portable package, you can't go wrong with the Air.

I have never regretted for a minute getting my Air. . . . well except for not getting it sooner.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies and the correction about the usb ports.

...some very good points to consider.

I think it requires a bit of a different way of thinking with an Air.

Yes, that makes good sense. I believe Apple is shepherding us in that direction, also.