ID not showing any useful information from lexicon

Ken Simpson

Hi

I know this has been raised before, but I am just adding another request for this particular issue to be looked at.

When you mouse over the definite article, you get a normal ID that is relatively useful. If however, you press CMD at this point to look at BDAG, then you get a completely useless entry of just a huge O.

So there is no way to see the BDAG info on the definite article except to amplify. It's not a huge issue, but it regularly frustrates me.

Thanks

post-29509-0-65426600-1351030715_thumb.png

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just noticed this is true of LEH, too. I echo Ken's request and wonder whether there are plans to address this issue? As Ken says, it's not huge, but it is a bit of an annoyance.

EDIT: Unless it's just a sizing issue and there's simply too many characters to fit into the ID in this instance?

Edited by AbramKJ

These are two different issues (LEH / BDAG). With BDAG it just needs to be discussed further as to how we could workaround this behavior. I don't know what kind of priority it is, or when it might be addressed.

Rick, do you mean that you don't replicate that same behavior in LEH? Or do you mean that it's different things causing it in each lexicon?

I wondered whether it was something not with any particular lexicon but with the ID themselves--I'm seeing now, too, that the KM Hebrew Dictionary turns up not that big "O" Ken described, but a blank ID for the prefixed definite article and various prefixed prepositions (when hitting the command key over those words).

I was trying to be quick in my reply… :)

The issue Ken is describing is because when Accordance strips the breathing mark(s) it is simply looking up the single letter O, and the first hit for that is the alphabetic entry for omicron. So it displays just that letter in the ID. This will happen with other single letter lexical forms. We just need to discuss how to account for this either in the tool or in Accordance, and I don't know when that will be or what kind of priority it will be given.

By separate issue in LEH, I was referring to the other forum topic you started on that (and the off-forum communication as well). However, this same issue as Ken describes will happen there too.

I don't know off-hand what you're describing in KM Hebrew I'll have to look at it, and am trying to tackle some other items at the moment.

Edited by Rick Bennett
  • Like 1

Thanks, Rick--what I described here for LEH is a different behavior (I think... though maybe related) from what we were talking about elsewhere. Based on your description of BDAG, sounds like it's the same issue Ken raised, and happening for the same reasons (since the breathing mark is stripped).

Just to save you the time (for when you're ready to take a look), here is what I'm describing in KM Hebrew (which is a great little dictionary, by the way--I use it often for the word frequency counts). Looks like it's the same thing, too--lacking the vowel pointing of the shewa, the ID just go to the single letter lexicon entry. I didn't realize till last night that Accordance behaves in this way, but at least now I understand why (and I'm putting two and two together), and that it's not a bug per se. Glad to hear you all are aware and looking into it.