MT-LXX Question

Clint Cozier

Is it the case that there is no way to see all the LXX greek lemmas used to translate a specific OT hebrew lemma? That can be done in both competing packages. I thought there was a work around that used Strong's numbering from the english and the Display Statistics button? How is it that BW has Tov's text with morphological tagging and not Accordance?

a specific example would help address your question concretely. What you ask for is available—and a lot easier to accomplish in Accordance.

For example, I would like to see all the Greek words used in the LXX to translate the verb בָּרָא. Yep...I know that the vast majority will be either ποιέω or κτίζω, but I want to see all the "other" lemmas like δείκνυμι in Num. 16.30.

Yes, this is quite easy in Accordance. You will need to familiarize yourself with a few things in Accordance, mostly the [MERGE ] command. A succinct description of the Merge command is that it effectively merges the morph tagging of the either the LXX or MT onto the MT-LXX database.

To find what you ask:

1. Run a search in HMT-W4 of ברא

2. The open MT-LXX and Merge the HMT Search results onto the data [MERGE HMT-W4]

The above search is sufficient to show you the translated relationship between the lemma ברא. To get a quick list, just show results as "Add Titles" under the gear icon in upper right hand side of the search pane.

Edited by James Tucker

James,

Thanks....that's the raw data I need. Any way to sort the hits by greek lemma so that they group together? For example, it would be great if the program could gather all the ποιέω references together and give me a subtotal count of hits under each word.

Clint

Edited by Clint Cozier

This is where I think several improvements can be made to this important database. To get the occurrences where ברא has been been translated by ποιέω you will need to open a LXX window and run a search for the greek lemma, then modify your search argument to include the LXX within the Merge.

For example,

Zone 1 (HMT-W4) = search for Hebrew lemma

Zone 2 (LXX1) = search for Greek lemma

Zone 3 (MT-LXX) = Zone 1 and Zone 1.

Thus, your search will look like so:

You can see some false hits in the results, and this is why I've been advocating for morph tagging in tools (among other features I have in mind). You'll need to read through the hits—but any good scholarship will always analyze the results of a search rather than cutting and pasting a list of references.

Edited by James Tucker

James, if you set your MT/LXX search to search by Paragraph, rather than Article, it will match up each lemma properly without spurious results. (though, as you said, still check your results!)

Clint, what you are looking for are expanded analytics on your search, which has been long requested, and is on our list at some point.

• Like 2